Margot-Helena Kasari
Margot-Helena Kasari
Estonia
Local time: 22:32
Estonian to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2007

Hi all.
I've just spent half a day searching the web for different QA tools and also read the article here. However, I didn't find a comprehensive overview of different QA tools. So if you're using a QA tool, please share the experience - which one, is it worth the price, what are the pros and cons. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What QA? Apr 10, 2007

Margot-Helena Kasari wrote:
So if you're using a QA tool, please share the experience - which one, is it worth the price, what are the pros and cons.

What do you want the QA tools to do? I use Wordfast's glossary and untranslatable check in real time, and that's very good. I also use my word processor's built-in spell-checker, which underlines misspelt words.

For more comprehensive QA'ing, try the Translate Toolkit, here: http://translate.sourceforge.net/

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
SDLX Lite... Apr 10, 2007

... includes some pretty obvious checks for the target text - you may just have a look and put those points on your short list. I am pretty sure they can be implemented in any environment (like word - have not done it, but may be tempted to do so, now that I have broached the subject).

Regards

smo

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
If you use Trados 7 or later Apr 11, 2007

TagEditor offers plug-ins:
- SDL Trados QA Checker
- SDL Trados Terminology Verifier

Open TagEditor. Go to Tools > Plug-ins.... Then put a tick in the chechbox for the respective plug-in and click on Properties... button to adjust the settings

More info in the Help

Margot-Helena Kasari
Margot-Helena Kasari
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your suggestions, Apr 11, 2007

but all of these are limited to particular software, I'm looking for something more comprehensive. I need a tool that would perform QA on various types of files - bilingual rtf or doc, ttx, xml, etc, but also on the TMs.
Above all, check for consistency, but also missing translations, differences in punctuation, numbers etc.
Any suggestions?
I've tried QA Distiller, which was compared to Trados and Wordfast built-in functions in an article published on ProZ, but it doesn't supp
... See more
but all of these are limited to particular software, I'm looking for something more comprehensive. I need a tool that would perform QA on various types of files - bilingual rtf or doc, ttx, xml, etc, but also on the TMs.
Above all, check for consistency, but also missing translations, differences in punctuation, numbers etc.
Any suggestions?
I've tried QA Distiller, which was compared to Trados and Wordfast built-in functions in an article published on ProZ, but it doesn't support regular bilingual rtf-documents, only ttx.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
XBench Apr 11, 2007

I need a tool that would perform QA on various types of files - bilingual rtf or doc, ttx, xml, etc, but also on the TMs.

You might try ApSIC's XBench: the latest revision (2.7) has added some very useful QA functionality; among other things it can help QAing bilingual SDLX and Trados files (including ttx files), as well as various types of translation memories.

I've written a short review of the program for my blog Translation Quality Blog: "ApSIC’s XBench: New QA Functions Help Providing Consistent Translations"

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You want too much Apr 12, 2007

But all of these are limited to particular software, I'm looking for something more comprehensive. I need a tool that would perform QA on various types of files - bilingual rtf or doc, ttx, xml, etc, but also on the TMs.

You can't have that. Different file types require different QA methods, so what you'll have to do is get different tools and use each tool for each file type.

Well, you can have it, but you'll have to find a programmer.

Translate Toolkit does this. But... what do you mean by "consistency"? Terminological consistency? And as for checking for missing translations, that will only work if your source files are bilingual files (or, if your QA tool is capable of doing behind-the-scenes real-time alignment of your source and target documents).

Margot-Helena Kasari
Margot-Helena Kasari
Estonia
Estonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, I don't think I'm asking for too much Apr 12, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

But all of these are limited to particular software, I'm looking for something more comprehensive. I need a tool that would perform QA on various types of files - bilingual rtf or doc, ttx, xml, etc, but also on the TMs.

You can't have that. Different file types require different QA methods, so what you'll have to do is get different tools and use each tool for each file type.

Well, you can have it, but you'll have to find a programmer.

Translate Toolkit does this. But... what do you mean by "consistency"? Terminological consistency? And as for checking for missing translations, that will only work if your source files are bilingual files (or, if your QA tool is capable of doing behind-the-scenes real-time alignment of your source and target documents).

I think I've just found what I was looking for - a programme called ErrorSpy. It supports TagEditor as well as Word bilingual files, I'll just have to try whether it works as good as it sounds.
By consistency I mean terminological, yes. And I mean to do QA only on bilingual files.
I tried QA Distiller and in some points it is actually quite good - I managed to analyse the TM and the report brought out all the inconsistencies, where different targets were used for the same source or vice versa. Its only minus is the fact that it only works on TagEditor files, not Word bilingual documents.

But thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestions and for taking the time helping me find a solution.
I'll share my experience once I've tried the ErrorSpy as well.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:32
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
XBench supports several different file types Apr 12, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

As I said, XBench supports several different file types (including SDLX, tag editor and word bilingual files, Trados and Wordfast memories).

It also permits to check for consistency against a specific glossary.

Margot: give it a try:
it offers most of the features offered by ErroSpy, at a much more convenient price (free).

[Edited at 2007-04-12 17:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QA tools

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »