Mobile menu

EU Interinstitutional Style Guide
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:51
German to English
Dec 14, 2002

I just came across this EU style guide for documents written in English but haven\'t had a chance to evaluate it. Is anyone else familiar with it? Any opinions?

http://eur-op.eu.int/code/en/en-000500.htm

Direct link Reply with quote

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:51
German to English
+ ...
looks good on brief examination Dec 14, 2002

A lot of this is pretty specific to the preparation and publishing of EU documents (and may thus be valuable for people involved in such work), but I looked briefly at Part 4 (\'Publications in English\') and was quite happy with what I found (in other words, I agree with it...). The advice on using full stops, for instance, is good ammunition for defending against clients who get all out of shape when they see \'Mr Jones\' instead of \'Mr. Jones\'. However, it should be noted that the style recommended in this document is quite specficially British English.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
EU Style Guide Dec 15, 2002

I agree with Kenneth that it is specifically related to British English but it gives you the standard form for such things as countries and certain abbreviations. For example you can consult the List of countries, territories and currencies which includes the ISO code. I\'ve been using it for a couple of years and it has served me well.

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
It's not only English Dec 15, 2002

under the same address you will find EU style guides in the following languages:

Castellano, Dansk, Deutsch, Ellinika, English, Francais, Italiano, Nederlands, Portuges, Suomi, Svenska.

It is useful for all who translate for European institutions.

Magda

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
UK English Dec 16, 2002

Quote:

However, it should be noted that the style recommended in this document is quite specficially British English.

Righly so, as only the UK is part of EU, and the big U.S. of A. is not (however hard they try to impose on Europe certain elements of their foreign policy).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU Interinstitutional Style Guide

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs