Mobile menu

The “quiddity” of WikiWords
Thread poster: xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 17:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 19, 2007

It’s about one year and one week since WikiWords was launched: .

What happened to the birthday party? Did I miss it?

Maybe the answer lies here:

The most recent input to WikiWords from any staff member appears to have been on 7 December when Colin Brady, then (at least) wearing the WikiWords developer’s hat, set up a new ‘Concept of the Day’: quiddity.

The most recent response from staff to a question, a bug report or any other matter raised in the WikiWords forum dates from 27 September.

From what I can recall, Henry’s last forum appearance dates from around … August.

Since the end of November, several WikiWords enthusiasts have made repeated - and totally vain - attempts to get information from staff about the future of the project. Since that time the forum has almost totally dried up - and there has been precious little new content added.

In the eary days of WikiWords there was much lively forum discussion about the core concept of WikiWords - its quiddity, in fact - and how it differs from the many other open dictionary projects on the Web. But I guess it’s only now that we have a clear idea as to WikiWords’ quiddity. What makes WikiWords different is that while other projects go on from strength to strenght, WikiWords has been abandoned by its creators, casting adrift hundreds if not thousands of users and contributors, their efforts sadly wasted…

So, Happy Birthday, WikiWords! ’twas good fun while it lasted!

PS: In case anyone is wondering, quiddity is defined in WikiWords as The essence that makes something the kind of thing it is and makes it different from any other.

Direct link Reply with quote
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:32
We are going to take an alternative approach Apr 20, 2007

Your criticism is well-founded. However, the passion and participation of a handful of members last year helped Colin to create, in my opinion, a great open dictionary engine. The problem was in the approach we took to inviting participation. We are planning to take a different tack in order to re-energize the project. Hopefully the effort put forth by you and others will not have been in vain.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
German to English
Thanks MediaMatrix Apr 20, 2007

Thanks for bringing this up. I haven't visited Wikiwords for ages, but I was wondering what happened to it.

Best regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The “quiddity” of WikiWords

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs