https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/7210-an_alternative_for_msoffice.html

An alternative for MsOffice?
Thread poster: williamson (X)
williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 06:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2002

With Linux (RedHat8.0) as operating system and OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org) as Office-suite you can start working without having to pay too much for software.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I am a Linux fan.. Dec 20, 2002

... however, I had to experience that OpenOffice and MS Office can display documents differently.

I also had problems in creating an OpenOffice file that would look the same in Word - and vv., could not create a Word file that would look the same in OpenOffice.

I really wished these two tools were more compatible, but I am afraid, so far they aren\'t.

If you have a client who is very focused on layout, style etc., he will not accep
... See more
... however, I had to experience that OpenOffice and MS Office can display documents differently.

I also had problems in creating an OpenOffice file that would look the same in Word - and vv., could not create a Word file that would look the same in OpenOffice.

I really wished these two tools were more compatible, but I am afraid, so far they aren\'t.

If you have a client who is very focused on layout, style etc., he will not accept documents edited with OpenOffice.

Regards,

Sonja
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:54
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
OpenOffice and CAT Dec 20, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-20 08:41, williamson wrote:

With Linux (RedHat8.0) as operating system and OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org) as Office-suite you can start working without having to pay too much for software.

Hello,

are you using OpenOffice with CAT software as well (Deja Vu, Trados or others)? If y... See more
Quote:

Hello,

are you using OpenOffice with CAT software as well (Deja Vu, Trados or others)? If yes, how well does it work?

Thank you in advance and kind regards

Mario Cerutti ▲ Collapse

Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:54
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
OpenOffice Dec 20, 2002

And it is a real hassle making OpenOffice undertsnd non-Latin based alphabets, and there is no guarantee that even if you do they are going to be fully compatible with windoze-based software.

Unfortunately, customers mostly work with MS Office.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:54
Italian to English
+ ...
OmegaT Dec 20, 2002

You can try OmegaT - http://www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html

I haven\'t played around with it too much, and it uses it\'s own format (not Trados compat), but it looks promising.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-12-20 12:59, aliseo wrote:

Quote:

... See more
You can try OmegaT - http://www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html

I haven\'t played around with it too much, and it uses it\'s own format (not Trados compat), but it looks promising.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-12-20 12:59, aliseo wrote:

Quote:

Hello,

are you using OpenOffice with CAT software as well (Deja Vu, Trados or others)? If yes, how well does it work?

Thank you in advance and kind regards

Mario Cerutti

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-20 14:26] ▲ Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OpenOffice.org Dec 20, 2002

Hi Sonja,

>>I also had problems in creating an OpenOffice file that would look the same

in Word - and vv., could not create a Word file that would look the same in

OpenOffice.

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
OpenOffice.org Dec 20, 2002

Hi Michael,

>>And it is a real hassle making OpenOffice undertsnd non-Latin based

alphabets

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT Dec 20, 2002

Hi Rick,

>>I haven\'t played around with it too much, and it uses it\'s own format (not

Trados compat)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An alternative for MsOffice?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »