https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/72446-tool_for_finding_subject_specific_terms_advanced_google_results_feature.html

Tool for finding subject specific terms / Advanced Google results feature
Thread poster: aslanh
aslanh
aslanh
Local time: 16:36
English
May 8, 2007

Hi

I've written a tool (www.wordindex.org) which helps finding subject specific terms. It is basically an advanced version of Google's number of results feature, where you can see how often a word occurs on websites. The advantages of my tool are that

1. You can search within specific subjects (e.g. Engineering, Economics, etc..)

2. You see the number of results for the wor
... See more
Hi

I've written a tool (www.wordindex.org) which helps finding subject specific terms. It is basically an advanced version of Google's number of results feature, where you can see how often a word occurs on websites. The advantages of my tool are that

1. You can search within specific subjects (e.g. Engineering, Economics, etc..)

2. You see the number of results for the word you searched for and derivations of it (e.g. searching for 'wind' will give you also the results for 'wind speed', 'wind tunnel', etc.). That way, you can find a word if you have a lead.

3. Sample sentences are shown for the search term.

4. Only english academic words are being searched. The full document can be viewed.

5. It contains features for further look-up such as in Dictionary.com

I've just gone live with the website and would appreciate any feedback on it.

Here is the link again: www.wordindex.org

Many thanks
aslanh

[Edited at 2007-05-08 08:24]
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:36
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Looks useful and professional May 8, 2007

Just one suggestion: add some indication (maybe just a tool tip) of what the small buttons are for (those that link to Wikipedia, Dictionary.com, etc.)

aslanh
aslanh
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2007

Thanks, will do with the next update.

Mihaela BUFNILA
Mihaela BUFNILA  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
Great! May 21, 2007

Thanks for sharing that! It's saving a lot of time...

aslanh
aslanh
English
TOPIC STARTER
New Feature - Results Include Synonyms May 30, 2007

Hi

I've added a new feature to www.wordindex.org. Apart from the search term and its derivatives, together with the number of occurences, the search results now include subject specific synonyms - also ranked by popularity.

I think this is going to be very useful. Searching for e.g. 'subsequently' will give you all the synonyms togethe
... See more
Hi

I've added a new feature to www.wordindex.org. Apart from the search term and its derivatives, together with the number of occurences, the search results now include subject specific synonyms - also ranked by popularity.

I think this is going to be very useful. Searching for e.g. 'subsequently' will give you all the synonyms together with the number of occurences: http://www.wordindex.org/?tbl=tb000&q=subsequently&s=Search

This new feature is based on the the free online Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward which contains more than 30,000 root words and over 2.5 million synonyms, and is one of the largest available thesauruses worldwide (the only drawback is that it may contain too many synonyms so that word relationships are not always obvious).

Please let me know your comments on this.

Thanks
aslanh

[Edited at 2007-05-30 11:53]

[Edited at 2007-05-30 11:53]
Collapse

hchetty (X)
hchetty (X)
English to German
+ ...
Great tool Jun 1, 2007

Thanks a lot! This definitely makes work a bit easier.

It's great that it is very userfriendly (not like Eurodicautom) and that you can follow-up the results with the link buttons. I'll definitely recommend Wordindex, thanks for sharing it with us!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool for finding subject specific terms / Advanced Google results feature

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »