Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:13
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 16, 2007

...I had a new technology that could make this."

Have you ever found yourself at work thinking that you would be more productive or/and more comfortable if a new useful ad hoc technology existed?

I've often thought of something like this. An automatic application searching for a term in Google and providing results with both the original term document along with its corresponding translated document in my language.

I know I can find bilingual files doing a search, but there are still several steps before coming to the translation.

Is there an application that already gets such beautiful results?

Thanks!

María José

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:13
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Steps are good news May 16, 2007

Nice idea, but I suspect that if such an application existed, it would be seized on and used by machine translation developers. They would then be able to demonstrate high quality machine translation -- and you would be out of a job.

The fact that there are several steps is, perversely, good news for us human beings.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Google with wild cards May 16, 2007

If you have one word to help you find another you want, of which you only have some letters, as in a crossword puzzle I am doing at the moment, it would be useful if you could search for the second word using asterisks as wild cards (I've tried it and it doesn't work, you just get the isolated letters). In case anyone can help, the clue is just one word, "Ionia", and the answer is a six-letter word G*E*G*.

[Edited at 2007-05-16 13:34]

Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Greece May 16, 2007

Hello again,

Googling in Spanish "Ionia", it says it is one of the Greek islands... Greece jumps to mind (maybe that last 'g' is not there?).

Good luck and let us know what it is.

Best,

Mar

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thank you, Mar, you're right May 16, 2007

Charlie Bavington emailed me with that suggestion and it turned out to be correct.

Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 05:13
English to Estonian
+ ...
Ionian column May 16, 2007

Mar Rodríguez wrote:

Hello again,

Googling in Spanish "Ionia", it says it is one of the Greek islands... Greece jumps to mind

"Ionian column" is what jumps to my mind when I hear the word "Ionia"

http://www.parissis.net/images/ionian-column.gif

But I do wish Google had proper wildcard and fuzzy search support. Back in the early days of search engines the ones I used did offer both, as far as I remember.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"How happy I would be if...

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs