Mobile menu

Buying Microsoft Manual of Style, 2nd edition
Thread poster: Frank Bremster

Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
German
+ ...
Dec 28, 2002

I have finally decided to buy the Microsoft Manual of Style..., 2nd edition, and return the one I \"borrowed\" from a friend a year ago.

After phoning the Microsoft press representatives in my country, searching Amazon and co, and talking to any bookstore I know, I have realized that this book is out of print. Very strange, as it is a very good and simple book (inc. CD), only released in 1998. Furthermore, it is kind of \"The Rule\" for translation and technical writing. It was mentioned in several contract I have signed with clients.

Now, trying to be smart, I looked in the used book sections of Amazon and other onliners. The cheapest version I have seen so far was $250, mint condition $450!!!!! Please note that the original costs about $35.

Either this book has become a collector`s item or some people try to make big bucks from something I consider a necessity.

To make my long story come to an end:

Does anybody have this book and wants to sell it for a reasonable price (about $40-50)?

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Frank

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxGerrit H?ing
Local time: 12:04
Italian to German
Manual of Style as download Dec 29, 2002

Hello Frank,

you can find the Manual of Style in the download area at www.microsoft.com/downloads/

HTH,

Gerrit Höing

German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 29, 2002

Thanks Gerrit,

I didn\'t know. That\'s probably the reason why its not printed anymore.

Zsolt VARGA
English to Hungarian
+ ...
thx for the tip Dec 30, 2002

I found the e-book very useful. The version offered for download is 3.0, so you are better off with that one.

Greetings,

Zsolt Varga

allys  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Asking for help Dec 30, 2002

I might seem stupid, but I was unable to find this book on Microsoft site. Could you help me and tell what is the exact name of application/book?

Thanks a lot and Happy New Year!

German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Site directions Dec 30, 2002

Just click on the above link, than enter +manual +of +style into the displayed search engine. This should give you a small discriptin and a download link.

Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
URL for Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications Jan 2, 2003

Hi,

Here is the URL for the manual:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=B494D46B-073F-46B0-B12F-39C8E870517A

HTH

Dieter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying Microsoft Manual of Style, 2nd edition

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs