https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/7338-buying_microsoft_manual_of_style_2nd_edition.html

Buying Microsoft Manual of Style, 2nd edition
Thread poster: Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:08
German
+ ...
Dec 28, 2002

I have finally decided to buy the Microsoft Manual of Style..., 2nd edition, and return the one I \"borrowed\" from a friend a year ago.

After phoning the Microsoft press representatives in my country, searching Amazon and co, and talking to any bookstore I know, I have realized that this book is out of print. Very strange, as it is a very good and simple book (inc. CD), only released in 1998. Furthermore, it is kind of \"The Rule\" for translation and technical writing. It was mentio
... See more
I have finally decided to buy the Microsoft Manual of Style..., 2nd edition, and return the one I \"borrowed\" from a friend a year ago.

After phoning the Microsoft press representatives in my country, searching Amazon and co, and talking to any bookstore I know, I have realized that this book is out of print. Very strange, as it is a very good and simple book (inc. CD), only released in 1998. Furthermore, it is kind of \"The Rule\" for translation and technical writing. It was mentioned in several contract I have signed with clients.

Now, trying to be smart, I looked in the used book sections of Amazon and other onliners. The cheapest version I have seen so far was $250, mint condition $450!!!!! Please note that the original costs about $35.

Either this book has become a collector`s item or some people try to make big bucks from something I consider a necessity.

To make my long story come to an end:

Does anybody have this book and wants to sell it for a reasonable price (about $40-50)?

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Frank

Collapse

Gerrit H?ing (X)
Gerrit H?ing (X)
Local time: 02:08
Italian to German
Manual of Style as download Dec 29, 2002

Hello Frank,

you can find the Manual of Style in the download area at www.microsoft.com/downloads/

HTH,

Gerrit Höing

Frank Bremster
German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 29, 2002

Thanks Gerrit,

I didn\'t know. That\'s probably the reason why its not printed anymore.

Zsolt VARGA
Zsolt VARGA
English to Hungarian
+ ...
thx for the tip Dec 30, 2002

I found the e-book very useful. The version offered for download is 3.0, so you are better off with that one.

Greetings,

Zsolt Varga

allys
allys  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Asking for help Dec 30, 2002

I might seem stupid, but I was unable to find this book on Microsoft site. Could you help me and tell what is the exact name of application/book?

Thanks a lot and Happy New Year!

Frank Bremster
German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Site directions Dec 30, 2002

Just click on the above link, than enter +manual +of +style into the displayed search engine. This should give you a small discriptin and a download link.

Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA
Dietrich Herrmann, MD, PhD, MBA  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
URL for Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications Jan 2, 2003

Hi,

Here is the URL for the manual:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=B494D46B-073F-46B0-B12F-39C8E870517A

HTH

Dieter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying Microsoft Manual of Style, 2nd edition

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »