https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/74866-saving_online_dictionaries_on_my_your_hard_drive.html

Saving online dictionaries on my/your hard drive???
Thread poster: Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 19:28
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2007

(I apologize if something along these lines has been posted previously on the forums...I searched and couldn't find anything related)

Hi everyone,

I'm sure pretty much everyone here uses one or two online dictionaries for quick searches, which obviates the time-consuming need of having to browse through a real dictionary for words that might have just slipped our brain, and which also makes working while traveling a lot easier. And I'm also sure that most of us have ha
... See more
(I apologize if something along these lines has been posted previously on the forums...I searched and couldn't find anything related)

Hi everyone,

I'm sure pretty much everyone here uses one or two online dictionaries for quick searches, which obviates the time-consuming need of having to browse through a real dictionary for words that might have just slipped our brain, and which also makes working while traveling a lot easier. And I'm also sure that most of us have had the dictionaries go offline once or twice right when it couldn't have been more inconvenient, due to time constraints or what have you.

So my question is: is there a simple way to save these dictionaries (including their search functions and, if possible, their forums) onto our hard drives? I know there are programs that are supposed to create website backups, but have never known if they include script backups (which is probably impossible in many cases because of lack of access to the scripts) and the like. Has anyone ever saved one of these dictionaries to their hard drive? If so, how did you do it? And if you tell us, will you have to kill me because I know too much?

[Edited at 2007-06-07 11:28]

[Edited at 2007-06-07 11:54]
Collapse

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 04:28
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Check this out... Jun 7, 2007

http://danish.nigilist.ru/

I know you don't intend to put it out on the net, but putting it on your own hard drive/server means that you are taking ownership of it. Thus breaking copyright... thus having to be shot

I was able to use the original link o
... See more
http://danish.nigilist.ru/

I know you don't intend to put it out on the net, but putting it on your own hard drive/server means that you are taking ownership of it. Thus breaking copyright... thus having to be shot

I was able to use the original link on this site ONCE, but when I came back this legal letter had been posted. After some hunting around, I found the legal site (ordbogen.dk) and am now a legal paid-up subscriber to the service.

I think the answer to your original question has to be no! Sorry

Bill
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 22:28
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Put it all in one place Jun 7, 2007

Whatever you do, try to put all terminology in one place. CAT tools have their own terminology databases, but I find them to be incomplete. Also, you can't always work with CAT tools due to scanned documents that are utterly incompatible with them.

What I suggest is that you download the glossary websites with Teleport and then you can index them with dtSearch or Google Desktop or another program like that and
... See more
Whatever you do, try to put all terminology in one place. CAT tools have their own terminology databases, but I find them to be incomplete. Also, you can't always work with CAT tools due to scanned documents that are utterly incompatible with them.

What I suggest is that you download the glossary websites with Teleport and then you can index them with dtSearch or Google Desktop or another program like that and search terminology that way.

When you have more time to actually enter terminology into a database, I suggest you use Lingo. There are other programs that serve this purpose, but I find Lingo to be the best one out there.

Reed
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
German to English
+ ...
Some online sites allow downloads Jun 7, 2007

In the German/English pair I can think of dict.cc (although they apparently had problems with this, too) and Mr. Honey's Business Dictionary (free or cheap, also available on CD). You'd have to check what policies are of the sites in your language pair.

In any case, you can find many (general and technical) dictionaries in CD form now, so why not invest in a few you use the most and install them on your computer?

Carin Krasno (X)
Carin Krasno (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
Babylon.com Jun 7, 2007

You may want to look into www.babylon.com.
It might not be exactly what you are looking for. It is not a specialized dictionary more a general one.

It is a very convenient tool to have. You can CTRL+right click on a word in a document and have it translated immediately.

I am using it for Eng-Swe / Swe-Eng. It is a little limited, but works wonders when I get stuck on a word. Howev
... See more
You may want to look into www.babylon.com.
It might not be exactly what you are looking for. It is not a specialized dictionary more a general one.

It is a very convenient tool to have. You can CTRL+right click on a word in a document and have it translated immediately.

I am using it for Eng-Swe / Swe-Eng. It is a little limited, but works wonders when I get stuck on a word. However, I would think that their Spanish dictionary is more extended than the Swedish.

FYI, it is not free. 40-80 dollar depending on the service you select.
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 19:28
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 11, 2007

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I actually would have no problem with paying my reliable online dictionary "companies?" to get a hard drive copy of their dictionaries, even if it had to be with a monthly charge. But they don't have that option! (Yes, I did ask.)

But then comes Bill's comment, which I stupidly hadn't thought about. True, if it is an infringement of intellectual property laws, then I shouldn't do it. Period. But there are
... See more
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I actually would have no problem with paying my reliable online dictionary "companies?" to get a hard drive copy of their dictionaries, even if it had to be with a monthly charge. But they don't have that option! (Yes, I did ask.)

But then comes Bill's comment, which I stupidly hadn't thought about. True, if it is an infringement of intellectual property laws, then I shouldn't do it. Period. But there are other good suggestions in this thread, which I will consider using. Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Collapse

Andrew Levine
Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
not infringement Jun 14, 2007

It seems you are in the United States, where saving personal copies of online materials for your own personal use (not republishing) is defended as "fair use" under the U.S. Code. So it is not infringing copyright (though in some other countries it may be).

Also, you are not "taking ownership" of it, not in any way at all.

valhalla55
valhalla55
Japanese to Norwegian
+ ...
Ordbogen E/D and D/E Sep 20, 2007

Has anybody got any idea why the English to Danish dictionary has been replaced with a much worse one? (maybe the Danish to English one too, I am not sure)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving online dictionaries on my/your hard drive???

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »