Opinion about Babylon Dictionaries
Thread poster: Iván Madrigal

Iván Madrigal  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:57
English to Spanish
Jun 12, 2007

Hi,
I don´t really know if I´m allowed to mention another company´s name in the forum, but here you go (please delete if not appropiate).

The thing is that I am considering acquiring a license for Babylon Dictionaries, English/Spanish.

Has anyone had any experience with this program?
Would you reccomend it?
Pros? Contras?

Any thought is welcome.

Regards,
Iván

Direct link Reply with quote

Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
It is super handy! Jun 12, 2007

Saves a lot of time for quick spell checks or relatively easy word translations. But other resources and dictionaries remain necessary because the number of entries is not quite high enough.
I love the free add on glossaries covering a variety of topics. Acronyms for instance, or translations of Latin flower names or other topics not likely to be available on my book shelf when I need them.

[Edited at 2007-06-12 21:00]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:57
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Useful Jun 12, 2007

It's useful as marlou1911 says. I used it since 2000 when I downloaded the trial version, then i bought the Professional version. Its audio complement is helpful to learn the correct pronunciation.

I have not visted their site but I'd like to buy a version for Palm.

Oh! And its unit conversion module is superb.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
word reference Jun 12, 2007

marlou1911 wrote:

Saves a lot of time for quick spell checks or relatively easy word translations. But other resources and dictionaries remain necessary because the number of entries is not quite high enough.
I love the free add on glossaries covering a variety of topics. Acronyms for instance, or translations of Latin flower names or other topics not likely to be available on my book shelf when I need them.

[Edited at 2007-06-12 21:00]

If that's all Babylon does, why bother buying it:

"relatively easy word translations": word reference is free
http://www.wordreference.com/

"acronyms or translations of Latin flower names": usually easily found on the WWW

Dictionaries, in general, aren't very helpful to translators who know their language pair pretty much inside out. The only ones I use by now is a source language monolingual (online or paper) and the "define" function in Google....just to obtain definitions that guide my research which is usually on the WWW or in a corpus.

In the end, the only way to pin down meaning is some sort of context. I have the Routledge Technical Dictionary on CD-ROM, but hardly ever use it, and 10 or 20 hits in Google are usually more helpful in guiding my understanding of the source word/context, and then my search ofr the EN word/context. Same with Stedman's medical dictionary.....

[Edited at 2007-06-12 22:23]

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 23:57
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
You save time with Babylon Jun 14, 2007

Lia Fail wrote:

If that's all Babylon does, why bother buying it:

"relatively easy word translations": word reference is free
http://www.wordreference.com/

You save a lot of time using Babylon because you can add several dictionaries and you get all your search results in the same window. This saves time, and time is money. Also, Word Reference does not have a lot of technical terms available.

Dictionaries, in general, aren't very helpful to translators who know their language pair pretty much inside out. The only ones I use by now is a source language monolingual (online or paper) and the "define" function in Google....just to obtain definitions that guide my research which is usually on the WWW or in a corpus.

How can a translator truly know his or her language pair "inside out"? There are so many terms out there and new ones popping up all the time. Surely a dictionary is necessary even for the most seasoned translator. The Vox Spanish-English dictionary which is a Babylon plug-in includes plenty of context to guide the language learner as well as the translator.

I agree with this general discussion that even though a translator chooses to use Babylon, he or she will have to look to other sources as well. I also advocate creating one's own dictionary, be it with Lingo or some other database scheme.

Reed

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Offline reference Jun 14, 2007

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
I do use wordreference and Google as aids for my translations, but I was thinking of Babylon as an option for when I´m working offline, to have a solid and reliable database... I must admit that I don´t use much any paper dictionaries, I´d rather have something safe in my hard disc.

Would anyone reccomend any others, apart from Babylon?

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 23:57
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Word Magic is great for Spanish-English Jun 15, 2007

Iván,

Word Magic has offline dictionaries that are thorough and accurate. I highly recommend them.

Reed

Dorothee Rault  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Is Babylon slowing down Internet connection? Jul 26, 2007

Hello,

I am also thinking of bying Babylon and have downloaded the demo-version. Now I have the feeling that my computer is slowing down.

Has anyone similar experiences?

Dorothee

Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It does take up some good amount of RAM Jul 26, 2007

Hi Dorothee,

I actually went for it and bought the Babylon dictionaries. Installed fine, got the license, got a couple of extra dictionaries and everything is good.
I do have noticed aswell though that it does take a good amount of RAM memory from your kit, so if you are using a "not top notch computer" it might slow it down a little bit, yes.
What I do to avoid this is to go and execute "msconfig" on Windows, go to the Startup label and unselect Babylon as a program to execute at launching my computer. Then when I start translating I launch it on, but running Words, Trados and Babylon does not suppose much of a problem for my kit, the system goes fine.
If it keeps slowing down I would suggest to get more RAM or to do a clean up of your kit.
Anyway, that´s my experience, hope that helps

Cheers,
I

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinion about Babylon Dictionaries

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs