Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2007

Hi everybody. I need to buy a new Portuguese>English dictionary. Can anyone recommend a really thorough, up-to-date one, preferably one that includes at least some technical terms?

Or any dictionary that you really like, and tell me why you like it?

Also, is there a really excellent online Pt>En dictionary?

Obrigada desde já!

Amy

Marie Benzo
Marie Benzo  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 11:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dictionary Recommendation Jun 24, 2007

Hi Amy!
Try and get hold of the Oxford Portuguese -English, English-Portuguese Dicitonary you can get hold of it via barnes and noble's website. this one is great! it's a good reference for business, travel, students and of course for everyday purposes.
It's got over 40,000 entries for both Portuguese variations.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:11
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tricky question Jun 24, 2007

As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a really comprehensive PT<>EN dictionary (one with over 200,000 entries) since the big, hardbound Michaelis dictionary passed into oblivion.

Larousse and Collins (aka HarperCollins in the U.S.) have decent mid-range paperbacks, but nothing comparable to the really extensive dictionaries available for Spanish, French, and other "popular" languages.

[Edited at 2007-06-24 20:59]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Barsa / Houaiss Jun 24, 2007

Amy,

As I saw on another thread, you are moving from Rio to the USA. Since this might be your last chance to do it yourself, try to get hold of one EN>PT & PT>EN Barsa dictionary. Though it dates back from the 1960s, you might find it at a "sebo" (used books store). The last pair of these I saw was being offered for BRL 35 at such a store here in Sao Paulo, in good condition.

Okay, there were some official changes to PT-BR ever since, and countless new words came up, bu
... See more
Amy,

As I saw on another thread, you are moving from Rio to the USA. Since this might be your last chance to do it yourself, try to get hold of one EN>PT & PT>EN Barsa dictionary. Though it dates back from the 1960s, you might find it at a "sebo" (used books store). The last pair of these I saw was being offered for BRL 35 at such a store here in Sao Paulo, in good condition.

Okay, there were some official changes to PT-BR ever since, and countless new words came up, but it's still the most reliable dictionary of this kind ever. As a matter of fact, it's the only bilingual dictionary I dare to use now and then.

On the other hand, the Michaelis published at that time (1960s) was the most misleading dictionary ever published. Don't even consider it, unless what you need is lotsa dead weight in your luggage!
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Up-to-date? Jun 24, 2007

Mariekins wrote:

Hi Amy!
Try and get hold of the Oxford Portuguese -English, English-Portuguese Dicitonary you can get hold of it via barnes and noble's website. this one is great! it's a good reference for business, travel, students and of course for everyday purposes.
It's got over 40,000 entries for both Portuguese variations.

Is this an up-to-date dicionary with some recent words in it?

Just curious.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found Barsa Jun 24, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Amy,

Okay, there were some official changes to PT-BR ever since, and countless new words came up, but it's still the most reliable dictionary of this kind ever. As a matter of fact, it's the only bilingual dictionary I dare to use now and then.

On the other hand, the Michaelis published at that time (1960s) was the most misleading dictionary ever published. Don't even consider it, unless what you need is lotsa dead weight in your luggage!

I found these Barsa dictionaries on an on-line sebo. One was R$15 and the other R$20. Not bad. I may buy them. Interesting that you mentioned Michaelis. I have Port>Eng one from 1961 and it's awful. Some of the English words are simply made up. This is why I'm looking for a new dictionary. I really don't want that dead weight in my luggage!

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
German to English
+ ...
Online and download Jun 25, 2007

Also, is there a really excellent online Pt>En dictionary?

The best online one is (as far as I know) Infopédia though you may need to pay to use it after a limited number of searches. Don't forget IATE is now also accessible.

The downloadable Babylon en>pt dictionary has nearly 145000 entries and the Babylon pt>en over 58000, but I'm not too sure of the quality of all the entries. It is possible to convert them to text files (particularly if you have Linux) and so both can be read in both directions.
http://www.babylon.com/category/20/Portuguese.html

The Freelang dictionaries may also be worth a look at:
http://www.freelang.net/dictionary/portuguese.html
http://www.freelang.net/dictionary/portuguese_brazilian.html

[Edited at 2007-06-25 07:29]

T o b i a s
T o b i a s
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Barsa vs. Appleton Jun 25, 2007

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if the following are basically the same book:

Antônio Houaiss, Catherine B. Avery
título: The New Appleton Dictionary of the English and Portuguese
New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1967

Antonio Houaiss Catherine B. Avery
título: Dicionario Ingles/port-/ingles (barsa- 2 Volumes)
editora: Barsa
Rio de Janeiro: Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1964.

If not, how do the
... See more
Hi everyone.

If not, how do they compare.
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:11
German to English
+ ...
Further online and computer installable Jun 25, 2007

I see that there is Reverso for pt<>. I know their de<>en is very good but have not used the pt<>en.

Also came across Ultralingua.

[Edited at 2007-06-25 22:39]

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Online dictionaries Jun 26, 2007

Robert, thanks for all the online links. I'm checking them out, one by one.

Amy

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Barsa = Appleton, yes. Jun 26, 2007

Tobias wrote:
Hi everyone.
If not, how do they compare.

Tobias,

They should be one and the same. My Dicionário Barsa has the Appleton-Century-Crofts logo on the spine.

[Edited at 2010-05-13 15:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-13 16:27 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Barsa & Michaelis vintage Jun 26, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:
I found these Barsa dictionaries on an on-line sebo. One was R$15 and the other R$20. Not bad. I may buy them. Interesting that you mentioned Michaelis. I have Port>Eng one from 1961 and it's awful. Some of the English words are simply made up. This is why I'm looking for a new dictionary. I really don't want that dead weight in my luggage!

Though the Barsa still uses the old accent rules in PT, it's a sure-shot whenever you miss a word. Always worth having.

I have no idea what kind of delusional individuals developed that old Michaelis. The best use I found for it was to prop up the 16 mm Bell & Howell movie projector when the screen was hung too high. When the VHS, and now the DVD, required operation on a flat, horizontal, surface, they became totally useless.

I once worked near a secretary whose translating skill stemmed directly from her amazing speed in finding any word in that Michaelis. So the company made "slurry pumps", which were normally called "bombas de lama" in Portuguese. On one sunny morning, while translating a bid, she called them "mud bombs"!!!

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just ordered the Barsa set. Jun 27, 2007

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I have no idea what kind of delusional individuals developed that old Michaelis. The best use I found for it was to prop up the 16 mm Bell & Howell movie projector when the screen was hung too high. When the VHS, and now the DVD, required operation on a flat, horizontal, surface, they became totally useless.

I once worked near a secretary whose translating skill stemmed directly from her amazing speed in finding any word in that Michaelis. So the company made "slurry pumps", which were normally called "bombas de lama" in Portuguese. On one sunny morning, while translating a bid, she called them "mud bombs"!!!

Hilarious!

I ordered the dictionaries from that online sebo, for a total of R$60,00, including postage. Not bad, says I.

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese>English dictionaries

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »