https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/76358-best_terminology_management_system_out_there.html

Best terminology management system out there?
Thread poster: Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:26
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2007

Are there any users who have used different terminology systems extensively? I have only been using MultiTerm, but I know there are (possibly better) other systems, too, e.g. Lingo. I've been basically quite happy with MultiTerm (using it with Trados). Probably the only main problem is that the Trados window does not show all the terms found in the sentence at once, just the next one.

I would like to hear your opinions. I'm especially interested in easy integration into Trados & Wor
... See more
Are there any users who have used different terminology systems extensively? I have only been using MultiTerm, but I know there are (possibly better) other systems, too, e.g. Lingo. I've been basically quite happy with MultiTerm (using it with Trados). Probably the only main problem is that the Trados window does not show all the terms found in the sentence at once, just the next one.

I would like to hear your opinions. I'm especially interested in easy integration into Trados & Word/Excel etc.
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 20:26
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Lingo is excellent Jun 27, 2007

Jussi,

Hi. I have been using Lingo for about six months and am thoroughly satisfied with it. I find that termbases that come with CAT tools like SDLX and Wordfast are great for working, but they lack functionality when it comes to compiling a master termbase. Indeed, their purpose is not to be definitive, but rather functional.

To give you an example, I might enter the ES-EN pair: "se llevará a cabo" > "it shall be c
... See more
Jussi,

Hi. I have been using Lingo for about six months and am thoroughly satisfied with it. I find that termbases that come with CAT tools like SDLX and Wordfast are great for working, but they lack functionality when it comes to compiling a master termbase. Indeed, their purpose is not to be definitive, but rather functional.

To give you an example, I might enter the ES-EN pair: "se llevará a cabo" > "it shall be carried out" in the MemoQ termbase, but not in Lingo's because it is not an infinitive. I would only want to keep "llevar a cabo" > "to carry out/carry out" in my definitive termbase.

I would also want to add more fields (which you can easily do) to my Lingo termbase. I often want to know the definition of a term, where I found it, its domain and subdomain, what country it is used in most and if a specific translator used it, his or her name.

All of this can be done effortlessly in Lingo.

HTH

Reed
Collapse

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:26
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Reed! Jul 13, 2007

Thanks for this brief review. I think I'll take a closer look at this Lingo.
-jr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best terminology management system out there?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »