https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/79525-resource%3A_english_spanish_english_medical_dictonary.html

Resource: English-Spanish-English Medical Dictonary
Thread poster: mariana24
mariana24
mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:36
Spanish
+ ...
Jul 25, 2007

Hi,

I am certain this must have been posted before and probably more than once, but I took a look at the related forums and could not find anything recent about it.

I am planning to invest in a VERY good Medical dictionary (English-Spanish-English), better if both in paper and CD. (On-line references welcome as well).

I would be grateful for any suggestions/comments.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mariana

[Edited at 20
... See more
Hi,

I am certain this must have been posted before and probably more than once, but I took a look at the related forums and could not find anything recent about it.

I am planning to invest in a VERY good Medical dictionary (English-Spanish-English), better if both in paper and CD. (On-line references welcome as well).

I would be grateful for any suggestions/comments.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mariana

[Edited at 2007-07-25 03:46]
Collapse

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:36
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Mosby Jul 25, 2007

Hello,

I use Mosby Spanish monolingual dictionary (electronic version), which has also a part dedicated to anatomy and a SpanishEnglish bilingual glossary (definitions in Spanish).

I find it helpful in many occasions although medicine is not one of my working fields (I guess that there are some better medical dictionaries than this one).

You can also find some useful tools in the internet like this one:
... See more
Hello,

I use Mosby Spanish monolingual dictionary (electronic version), which has also a part dedicated to anatomy and a SpanishEnglish bilingual glossary (definitions in Spanish).

I find it helpful in many occasions although medicine is not one of my working fields (I guess that there are some better medical dictionaries than this one).

You can also find some useful tools in the internet like this one:
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/hp.asp

Regards,

M.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:36
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Jul 25, 2007

The Mosby Spanish monolingual medical dictionary (in two volumes, with definitions in Spanish, English translations, and lots of nauseating photos) has an English-Spanish index at the back, making it a very useful Spanish>English, English>Spanish medical dictionary. If you don't need the definitions or photos, Mosby also publishes a small paperback dictionary (actually more like an extensive glossary) with just the Spanish>English>Spanish equivalencies.

If you do English>Spanish wor
... See more
The Mosby Spanish monolingual medical dictionary (in two volumes, with definitions in Spanish, English translations, and lots of nauseating photos) has an English-Spanish index at the back, making it a very useful Spanish>English, English>Spanish medical dictionary. If you don't need the definitions or photos, Mosby also publishes a small paperback dictionary (actually more like an extensive glossary) with just the Spanish>English>Spanish equivalencies.

If you do English>Spanish work, I also highly recommend the 2nd edition of Navarro's "Diccionario crítico de dudas inglés>español de medicina." It's tremendously useful and, unlike the 1st edition, addresses Latin American Spanish in addition to Peninsular Spanish.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:36
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I support this Jul 25, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

If you do English>Spanish work, I also highly recommend the 2nd edition of Navarro's "Diccionario crítico de dudas inglés>español de medicina." It's tremendously useful and, unlike the 1st edition, addresses Latin American Spanish in addition to Peninsular Spanish.

Fernando Navarro's dictionary is complete and updated. I have used it recently and I do not stop learning more and more from it each day.

About the Msby Spanish dictionary, do you have its ISBN or do you know about any on-line bookstore which sells the dictionary?

Thank you Steven.

Salu2 cordiales to Málaga, Monika.

[Edited at 2007-07-25 22:57]

mariana24
Uruguay
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jul 25, 2007

I have taken note of your replies, very useful indeed.

A colleague and friend of mine, when she saw this post also bombarded me with pages on Navarro's dictionary, so I guess Navarro will have an even better breakfast after this...

I shall also try the Mosby, which seems to be quite helpful.

Thank you all very much.

Kind regards,

Mariana

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Navarro answers Jul 25, 2007

You should check this site: http://www.ndet.org/foro/forumdisplay.php?fid=69. (Maybe you will be asked to suscribe, it's free)

Fernando Navarro was invited to answer some questions about his career as translator and about his Dictionary.

mariana24
Uruguay
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Buying?? Jul 26, 2007

Yaotl Altan wrote:

You should check this site: http://www.ndet.org/foro/forumdisplay.php?fid=69. (Maybe you will be asked to suscribe, it's free)

Fernando Navarro was invited to answer some questions about his career as translator and about his Dictionary.

Thank you for this Yaotl. I will certainly read this you recommend. Now...since I replied the last time I've been looking for a place where to buy this dictionary. So far I have checked Barnes&Noble and Amazon with no luck. I don't think I will find it here in my country, any idea on where it can be bought on line?

Thanks a lot.

Mariana

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 options Jul 26, 2007

Option 1:

Try www.diazdesantos.es, a Spanish bookstore in Madrid which surely sells the book but chek out the shipment fee!

Option 2:
If there's a McGraw-Hill office in Montevideo or Bs.As. you can phone them.

mariana24
Uruguay
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 26, 2007

Thank you Yaotl. You've been extremely helpful and kind.

Beso

Mariana

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:36
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Buying Navarro's dictionary Jul 26, 2007

The cheapest option is to hope that someone you know goes to Spain and has room in their suitcase.

I don't know why but mailing packages from Spain is insanely expensive, even for small items like DVDs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: English-Spanish-English Medical Dictonary

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »