Thread poster: Mari O'Keefe
Mari O'Keefe
Mari O'Keefe
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
French to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2007

Does anyone know of a good, but more importantly concise, online French to English immigration glossary? I would like to print one off that I could easily refer to, if necessary, in a liaison interpreting context. Thanks for your help. Mari

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
glossary from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada Aug 13, 2007

Hi Mari,

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it might help. Here is one from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/fr/ausujet/publications/interprete/gloss_f.htm

Best regards,

Christine

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
French to English immigration glossary Aug 13, 2007

My immediate reaction was: "You'll be lucky!".

I do a fair amount of interpreting for the Home Office and have to carry a glossary around in my head!

Anyway, I've done a bit of research, and there is one, though it is published by the Canadians, but it could be useful.

There is a short Spanish - English glossa
... See more
My immediate reaction was: "You'll be lucky!".

I do a fair amount of interpreting for the Home Office and have to carry a glossary around in my head!

Anyway, I've done a bit of research, and there is one, though it is published by the Canadians, but it could be useful.

There is a short Spanish - English glossary too:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:90e9TiUiL1oJ:www.najit.org/proteus/back_issues/orrantia.htm%20Home%20Office%20Immigration%20French%20English%20glossary&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=uk&lr=lang_en

Should I find anything else, will forward!

Liz Askew
Collapse

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...

A message to Christine:

I've just had a quick look at the glossary you cited and would like to thank you as it will serve my purposes very well indeed!

Thanks again!

Liz Askew

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:19
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Moving the thread... Aug 13, 2007

to the Resources forum as it will serve better here, I think.

Magda

Mari O'Keefe
Mari O'Keefe
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Aug 13, 2007

Hi Christine and Liz

Thank you both for your invaluable advice and weblinks. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and hopefully it will make my job tomorrow a little easier!

Best wishes

Mari

liz askew
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...

Hello again

You're very welcome for the help! I know what it's like going in empty-handed, as I've done it a fair few times in my job!

By the way, the Immigration officials tend to stick to the script so they are very good to work with! Also, the people I have come across are helpful should you get stuck/anxious/confused! Be honest with them and they will be kind to you!

Don't be afraid and I am sure you'll enjoy it and they will appreciate your help!... See more
Hello again

You're very welcome for the help! I know what it's like going in empty-handed, as I've done it a fair few times in my job!

By the way, the Immigration officials tend to stick to the script so they are very good to work with! Also, the people I have come across are helpful should you get stuck/anxious/confused! Be honest with them and they will be kind to you!

Don't be afraid and I am sure you'll enjoy it and they will appreciate your help!

Best of luck tomorrow!

Liz
Collapse

Mari O'Keefe
Mari O'Keefe
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 13, 2007

Hi Liz

That's really nice of you to say so. I am a bit nervous about tomorrow as I've never done any official interpreting work before, but I feel a bit more reassured after reading your kind words.

Best wishes

Mari

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:19
French to English
+ ...
Hey Mari Aug 14, 2007

Hi Mari!

Best of luck tomorrow - and good to see you're getting some interpreting work! I love it but haven't done any in absolutely ages....you'll be fine, just keep calm and all will be good!

Take care, and I'll send you an e-mail soon )

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: Concise French to English immigration glossary

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »