Mobile menu

Looking for Ger > Eng Legal / Finance / Political Dictionary
Thread poster: xxxPoveyTrans
xxxPoveyTrans

Local time: 15:14
German to English
Aug 15, 2007

I am looking to purchase one of the larger (and more expensive) legal/commercial Ger > Eng dictionaries. Before I spend the money, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or views, in particular about the June 2005 edition of Dietl/Lorenz and how it compares with other similar publications.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dictionary-Legal-Commercial-Political-German-English/dp/3406480675/ref=sr_1_1/203-0744725-7609511?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187171481&sr=1-1)

Kim has listed the following dictionaries in a similar question around 18 months back.

Dietl/Lorenz: Dictionary of Legal, Commercial and Political Terms, C:H. Beck
Hamblock/Wessels: Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch, Cornelsen
Romain: Dictionary of Legal and Commercial Terms, C.H. Beck
R. Lister/K. Veth: Max Hueber Verlag (very small, but good, especially for criminal law)
Standardvertragsmuster: Dieter Stummel, Verlag C.H. Beck

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-16 00:32]

Direct link Reply with quote

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:14
German to English
Not so easy.... Aug 15, 2007

The problem is that there is no single dictionary covering legal/finance/business that's worth buying.

Dietl/Lorenz is good on law, but should always be used in conjunction with Romain. Dietl/Lorenz is crap on business and finance.

A new 6th edition of Hamblock/Wessels appeared recently, but to be honest we were pretty disappointed, certainly with the De-En volume. Still miles better than the genuinely egregious Schäfer or Langenscheidt/Routledge offerings (both of which are a criminal waste of trees), but they could have been far more rigorous weeding out the errors in the 5th edition.

My suggestion would be to buy Dietl/Lorenz, Romain and most definitely the Zahn Bank- und Börsenwesen/Banking and Stock Trading dictionary. And Hamblock/Wessels only if you've still got the budget for it.

HTH,
Robin

xxxPoveyTrans

Local time: 15:14
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 15, 2007

[quote]RobinB wrote:

The problem is that there is no single dictionary covering legal/finance/business that's worth buying.

Dietl/Lorenz is good on law, but should always be used in conjunction with Romain. Dietl/Lorenz is crap on business and finance.

A new 6th edition of Hamblock/Wessels appeared recently, but to be honest we were pretty disappointed, certainly with the De-En volume. Still miles better than the genuinely egregious Schäfer or Langenscheidt/Routledge offerings (both of which are a criminal waste of trees), but they could have been far more rigorous weeding out the errors in the 5th edition.

My suggestion would be to buy Dietl/Lorenz, Romain and most definitely the Zahn Bank- und Börsenwesen/Banking and Stock Trading dictionary. And Hamblock/Wessels only if you've still got the budget for it.

HTH,
Robin

Thanks for this Robin. I feared that the 'all-singing-all-dancing' dictionary was more of a pipedream.

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:14
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
von Beseler... Aug 16, 2007

This site offers a good overview of what’s available in this field (other languages included), plus prices.
http://www.legalenglish.com/books.html

A lawyer-friend of mine swears by Von Beseler/ Jakobs-Wüstefeld: Law Dictionary: Technical Dictionary of the Anglo-American Legal Terminology Including Commercial and Political Terms, German-English.
It's expensive and I don’t own it yet – still waiting for a good deal to come up on Amazon or Ebay.

HTH
johanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Ger > Eng Legal / Finance / Political Dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs