Thread poster: Osamah Abdallah
Osamah Abdallah
Osamah Abdallah  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:50
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 18, 2007

Dear Proz members,

I would like to start to start a project of creating a "Translation Book" by translators like us. This entire project could take place online on my site at http://www.arabictab.com/book in which interested members could create chapters and different topics under those chapters. I have created the book and got some info from wiki and posted it in there just as a simple start
... See more
Dear Proz members,

I would like to start to start a project of creating a "Translation Book" by translators like us. This entire project could take place online on my site at http://www.arabictab.com/book in which interested members could create chapters and different topics under those chapters. I have created the book and got some info from wiki and posted it in there just as a simple start.

You can take a look at the book at http://www.arabictab.com/book , and if you are interested in participating, please email me at [email protected] and I could send you a user-name and password so you could access the features that would allow you to create pages within the book. As members have pointed out, distributing such a product for free is not the best choice, however, I do not intend to make profit from this book. Therefore, it would be great if you could funnel in your thoughts about creating such a book. I look forward to working with all interested members on creating this book, thanks.

Best Regards,

Osamah Abdallah
Translator
Translation and Beyond, Inc.

[Edited at 2007-08-18 12:15]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:50
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I dunno. Aug 18, 2007

The idea per se is beautiful and honorable. On the other hand: We all had to gather our knowledge the hard way, we are all learning continuously and we had to attend universities and such. We spent thousands of dollars or whatever currency plus countless hours of self-education to become professional translators.

Why on earth should we provide this knowledge and expertise at no charge? Besides, there is no such thing as a crash-course "Hey, become a translator within 48 hours and m
... See more
The idea per se is beautiful and honorable. On the other hand: We all had to gather our knowledge the hard way, we are all learning continuously and we had to attend universities and such. We spent thousands of dollars or whatever currency plus countless hours of self-education to become professional translators.

Why on earth should we provide this knowledge and expertise at no charge? Besides, there is no such thing as a crash-course "Hey, become a translator within 48 hours and make big bucks!"

The plenitude of articles on Proz.com is quite nice, why would you like to funnel this know-how to your website and distribute it for free? I do have the feeling that we are worth more than that.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
ProZ forums is free... Aug 18, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:
We spent thousands of dollars or whatever currency plus countless hours of self-education to become professional translators. ... Why on earth should we provide this knowledge and expertise at no charge?

You are already doing it, right here, on ProZ.com, in the forums, which are free.

Osamah, there are many web sites that host articles about various aspects of translation. Just google for "translation+articles" and you'll see.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, Samuel. Aug 18, 2007

Where is the copyright?

Last year my co. celebrated an anniversary, I ran a full-page ad plus an editorial in a major US advertising magazine about international advertising and translation. I hired a US-copywriter and I paid an arm and and a leg but this guy was worth it and delivered quite a firework. At first I was planning on posting this as an article on Proz.com. Then I didn't. Why? Because it's free and it can be copied. You are right, Samuel.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:50
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Well, the whole idea of Proz.com is to share expertise Aug 19, 2007

In my opinion, Nicole, it does not matter where and how we share our expertise, since it will never help anyone to become a translator if they do not have the relevant experience plus business sense.

I have had discussions with a friend who is a lawyer, and he does not think too much of how we can carry on, since he is in the business of preserving trade secrets. Nevertheless, to judge by the many threads we get in these forums along the lines of "I want to become a translator. How
... See more
In my opinion, Nicole, it does not matter where and how we share our expertise, since it will never help anyone to become a translator if they do not have the relevant experience plus business sense.

I have had discussions with a friend who is a lawyer, and he does not think too much of how we can carry on, since he is in the business of preserving trade secrets. Nevertheless, to judge by the many threads we get in these forums along the lines of "I want to become a translator. How do I start?" or "How do I get work?", it seems that nothing we say will help anybody in that position. Otherwise they could get their answer from previous threads of the same kind.

Astrid
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:50
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I am not greedy for money Aug 19, 2007

nor have any superstitions against sharing the know-how and other things, but one simple question - will you sell that book or will it be for free? If you sell it, then logical and fair would be to pay the translators for the articles provided. Moreover, a forum is one thing and a book is another thing.

"As members have pointed out, distributing such a product for free is not the best choice, however, I do not intend to make profit from this book." - can you explain in a greater det
... See more
nor have any superstitions against sharing the know-how and other things, but one simple question - will you sell that book or will it be for free? If you sell it, then logical and fair would be to pay the translators for the articles provided. Moreover, a forum is one thing and a book is another thing.

"As members have pointed out, distributing such a product for free is not the best choice, however, I do not intend to make profit from this book." - can you explain in a greater detail what you mean by that? Seems now "It will be free, but will cost some money"...Sorry to be straightforward...

[Edited at 2007-08-19 22:03]
Collapse

Osamah Abdallah
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sharing Expertise Doesn't mean selling secrets of the Trade Aug 19, 2007

I haven't been that long in the field of translation, about 2.5 years. However, I have been reading articles about translation since then and none of them release the secrets of trade, such as specific sources for translation jobs, after all why would we make this information known. Therefore, writing about one's experience in the field of translation will not give away one's clients away because we don't list our clients! But it helps those who already have clients to perform their job bett... See more
I haven't been that long in the field of translation, about 2.5 years. However, I have been reading articles about translation since then and none of them release the secrets of trade, such as specific sources for translation jobs, after all why would we make this information known. Therefore, writing about one's experience in the field of translation will not give away one's clients away because we don't list our clients! But it helps those who already have clients to perform their job better and learn from the mistakes and difficulties of other translators so they themselves don't fall in them. By helping each other perform our jobs more efficiently and accurately, we help our field, the field of Translation, to grow into a more respected field. Therefore, I do not see any harm in sharing one's experience with other translators to help them succeed as new translators.

[Edited at 2007-08-19 22:05]
Collapse

Osamah Abdallah
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is up to the members to decide! Aug 19, 2007

MariusV wrote:

"As members have pointed out, distributing such a product for free is not the best choice, however, I do not intend to make profit from this book." - can you explain in a greater detail what you mean by that? Seems now "It will be free, but will cost some money"...Sorry to be straightforward...

[Edited at 2007-08-19 22:03]

Originally, I intended the book to be available for free, and I still do. However, it is up to the members who are interested in writing articles for this book at the site to decide whether they want to make profit on their articles or not, and based on that the authors will decide whether to make it a free product or a product for sale.

On a final note, any interested members, please contact me and I will send you a user-name and password for writing articles in the book, Thanks.

Osamah Abdallah

[Edited at 2007-08-20 02:15]

[Edited at 2007-08-20 02:15]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Astrid: Oh my, here is an unexpected update, out of the blue Aug 25, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Astrid

You are perfectly right. In regard to helping novice translators getting started and in regard to sharing experience and expertise with colleagues.

However, there is a different audience:

The industries that we are working for.

Update: A US advertising association read the article mentioned above and invited me and my copywriter yesterday to speak during some award ceremonies in New York in September on the subject of marketing across languages.

I am not making this up and I will happily forward this email to you in private.

The exchange of information among us translators is fine (I just sent a bunch of templates to a translator whom I don't even really know, just to be nice). However, are we really willing to provide our industry know-how to the rest of the world at no charge?

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 10:50
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
sharing or SELLING know-how shared? Sep 3, 2007

Osamah Abdallah wrote:

I haven't been that long in the field of translation, about 2.5 years. However, I have been reading articles about translation since then and none of them release the secrets of trade, such as specific sources for translation jobs, after all why would we make this information known. Therefore, writing about one's experience in the field of translation will not give away one's clients away because we don't list our clients! But it helps those who already have clients to perform their job better and learn from the mistakes and difficulties of other translators so they themselves don't fall in them. By helping each other perform our jobs more efficiently and accurately, we help our field, the field of Translation, to grow into a more respected field. Therefore, I do not see any harm in sharing one's experience with other translators to help them succeed as new translators.

[Edited at 2007-08-19 22:05]

The so called know-how takes many years to gain (making the way through a jungle of errors, self improvement, and so on what costs time and money, and A LOT of effort). So, can you explian me only one simple thing - why should people share that know how with you for free for the book you want to sell for money? Proz forum is free and our discussion texts are not sold. A good idea - people write me articles for free and I make a book and sell it...Why do you think you could ride to the heaven on other people's neck? Sorry t be straightforward, have nothing negative nor personal, just trying to understand your approach. Would be fair if you could offer a share of the profits for the people when you start selling the book. Still would understand it then...So, in brief, there is NO harm really in sharing experiences, but there is another question - what for and what purposes it will be used. Here, on proz forum, we help each other and discuss things on a friendly basis. Proz forum info is not sold. Do you see the difference? Moreover, your potential book readers can simply come to proz and read discussions

[Edited at 2007-09-03 20:06]

Osamah Abdallah
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advise Sep 3, 2007

MariusV wrote:

The so called know-how takes many years to gain (making the way through a jungle of errors, self improvement, and so on what costs time and money, and A LOT of effort). So, can you explian me only one simple thing - why should people share that know how with you for free for the book you want to sell for money? Proz forum is free and our discussion texts are not sold. A good idea - people write me articles for free and I make a book and sell it...Why do you think you could ride to the heaven on other people's neck? Sorry t be straightforward, have nothing negative nor personal, just trying to understand your approach. Would be fair if you could offer a share of the profits for the people when you start selling the book. Still would understand it then...So, in brief, there is NO harm really in sharing experiences, but there is another question - what for and what purposes it will be used. Here, on proz forum, we help each other and discuss things on a friendly basis. Proz forum info is not sold. Do you see the difference? Moreover, your potential book readers can simply come to proz and read discussions

[Edited at 2007-09-03 20:06]

I apologize for all of this misunderstanding. I was planning on having a free book on translation, but after some discussion I thought that not everyone would want to contribute to a book that is free, because they want profit for their efforts. However, what you said is correct. Proz.com is an excellent resource and it is better to direct readers to these forums. Thank you for the advise.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Start a "Book on Translation" Project

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »