Thread poster: Pnina
Pnina
Israel
Local time: 22:31
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
Aug 26, 2007

Dear translators,
I have encountered a new type of translation tool on the website of the International Herald Tribune (www.iht.com).
In the tools menu (on the right side of article pages) there is a Translate button. The offered languages are Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese. There is also the option of English definitions.
Clicking on one of the options produces a version of English text hyperlinked to the appropriate dictionary. All you have to do is click on the Translate button and choose a language pair. A page that has been enabled for translation will appear. Click on any word to open a dictionary window.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alan R King
Local time: 21:31
Basque to English
+ ...
Couldn't find it Aug 26, 2007

Hi Pnina,

I followed your link but couldn't find the translation tool you describe...

Alan

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:31
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
interesting Aug 26, 2007

Thank you Pnina, very interesting tool!
Hugs!

@ Alan: you just have to select an article and, once selected, you will see the translation tool on the right side of the article itself.

Ciao!

[Edited at 2007-08-26 16:12]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You have to visit an article Aug 26, 2007

Alan R King wrote:
I followed your link but couldn't find the translation tool you describe...

Try this:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/26/news/greece.php

Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I tried but... Aug 26, 2007

no translation occurs. I clicked on the "translate" button on the right side of the screen and all I see is the same article in English.

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Select a term Aug 26, 2007

It only works for separate terms! I also thought that if I selected the whole article it would be translated, but it does not work that way. Select just one word and the dictionary will appear automatically with various translations in the selected language.

I went on the Ultralingua site and could see that the system can be downloaded for around 30 USD and so it can be used on our own texts too.
There is a free 10 days demo version. Worth trying.

[Edited at 2007-08-26 16:55]

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:31
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Mmmm.... Aug 27, 2007

It's good but it would take forever to read a document if it's in a language you don't know fairly well to start with!

I I tried "translating" into Italian and got the following translations:

overrun - salare troppo (to oversalt!!!)

charred - tabella, grafico a torta (chart, pie chart)

trapped - cacciatore (trapper)

parliamentary - parlatorio (parrlor)

It seems that when there's no corresponding word in the dictionary, it automatically moves on to the next word (in alphabetical order).

It does provide the EN word though so I suppose if you're careful ........ !!!!!!!!

Pnina
Israel
Local time: 22:31
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Technical Instructions Aug 27, 2007

Maria Baquero wrote:

no translation occurs. I clicked on the "translate" button on the right side of the screen and all I see is the same article in English.

Dear Maria,
All you have to do is select an article, click on "translate" and choose a language. A page that has been enabled for translation will appear (It looks like the same article but above it there is the phrase "enabled for translation"). Then click on any word to open a dictionary window.

Barbara Biaggi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
wow ... this is good ... Aug 27, 2007

This is very interesting especially if you teach English as a second language and can use computers!

Thank you Pnina
Barbara

Maurice Devroye
United States
English to French
To enable a Web page for language assistance (Ultralingua) Aug 27, 2007

http://www.ultralingua.com/onlinedictionary/shared/enable.html

This is the page describing how to trigger and use the software. All you have to do now is:

1. Create/post a Web page with the document you are translating (Skip this step if your document is already on line)

2. Ask ultralingua for assistance

Good luck!

[Edited at 2007-08-27 15:32]

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
It does not look very smart to me... Aug 27, 2007

A dictionary on your table is certainly easier, faster and incomparably better.

Maria Baquero  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very helpful Aug 27, 2007

Pnina wrote:

Dear Maria,
All you have to do is select an article, click on "translate" and choose a language. A page that has been enabled for translation will appear (It looks like the same article but above it there is the phrase "enabled for translation"). Then click on any word to open a dictionary window.

Thanks Pnina,
I downloaded the Ultralingua software for a 10-day trial. It seems to be very helpful so far.

Rosanna Palermo  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:31
Member (2006)
Italian to English

Thanks for the tip! Aug 28, 2007

It seems to be a good tool for "gosh how do you say that again" type of situations but not one I would use to translate words that I am not at least marginally familiar with. For that I believe that wordreference.com is a much better tool.

I tried and it does work but, as Ivana says, one better be very very familiar with both languages before trusting their professional reputation to it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A different type of "machine" translation

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs