Mobile menu

can you help me with Abbyy Fine Reader 8.0
Thread poster: Ken Fagan
Ken Fagan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
Aug 29, 2007

I use Abbyy to convert PDFs to Word, mainly to determine PDF word counts, rather than to actually type over the doc.

Very often when I use Abbyy, a number of the converted pages are useless, because they are full of lines containing only 1 (or 4 or 5) letters, rather than full words (or even lines or paragraphs).

Am I using the program incorrectly, or is this a common problem with Abbyy?

Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
It is more or a less a scanner Aug 29, 2007

Hi Ken,

ABBYY Fine Reader is more or less a scanner, it recognizes shapes rather than characters. You may try the correction/proof-reading button but it is almost useless.
I use the programme only when the source PDF files were made as scans and do not include any formatting. For the purposes of word counts I prefer AnyCount - provided the source text in PDF is not a scanned image.
if it is a scanned image than I go for the Abbyy with the knowledge that the formatting might be of problem.

Veronika

Ramón Esquivel  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:34
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
FineReader is pretty good Aug 29, 2007

Unless the document has a vey low resolution, like scanned pages, Abby should provide you an almost exact copy of the document you are working with.

Obviously, I am referring to text.
You shouldn't try to recognize images like logos, for example.

As far as I know, all OCR apps allow you to tag areas in your document as Text, Tables, Images, etc.

However, if what you want is a word count only, you could try the "short" version of Abby.
I am talking about the one you access with a right click of your mouse on the filename.

It's automatically installed when using the default settings during the installation of Abby.

BTW, Abby is not intended to overwrite the text with your translation.
Although feasible, it would be very time consuming.

Regards,
Ramon

Ken Fagan wrote:

I use Abbyy to convert PDFs to Word, mainly to determine PDF word counts, rather than to actually type over the doc.

Very often when I use Abbyy, a number of the converted pages are useless, because they are full of lines containing only 1 (or 4 or 5) letters, rather than full words (or even lines or paragraphs).

Am I using the program incorrectly, or is this a common problem with Abbyy?

Many thanks!

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Use the settings Aug 29, 2007

The quality of your scanning depends on several factors, e.g. print quality, resolution and layout. Besides, Fine Reader has quite a few settings that you can and should use to customize the scanning to the actual document. When you learn to use the settings correctly, you have a very powerful tool that should (in most cases) be able to create a near perfect scanning of the text. Some of these are format settings where you can choose how much of the layout is to be retained. If the layout is of less importance and you only need a word count, you can create a very simple word file or even a txt file without any layout.

My advice: Try out some of the many settings to tailor the scanning to your document and your needs. Don't just use the standard settings. The program is capable of so much more.

Jørgen

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't use automatic reading Aug 30, 2007

Instead, set the text, graphics and chart boxes yourself. It's easy to do, just click on the type of box you want and mark it in the page. After that, click on Read and that's all.

I always use Abby, and it hasn't disappointed me yet.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Not true Aug 30, 2007

Veronika Hansova wrote:
ABBYY Fine Reader is more or less a scanner, it recognizes shapes rather than characters.

Hi Veronika and all,

I have to disagree. FineReader is an OCR program, which means it does Optical Character Recognition. To say that it doesn't recognize characters is to neglect all the hard work and advanced features the programmers have put into this software.

If it didn't recognize characters, why would we then download different language packs that extends the capability to even non-western alphabets?!

Anyway, the OCR was poor earlier on, but huge improvements have made in v8.0. Maybe you're referring to older versions, Veronika?

Besides that, I have to agree with Ramon, Jörgen and Edwal.
When you OCR the file, open it in preview mode first. There you can see every page, and frame exactly what should be interpreted, and in which order. It's a very powerful and versatile feature, which gives you total control over what ends up on each page.

Good luck,

Jan

[Edited at 2007-08-30 07:55]

Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No OCE is perfect... Aug 30, 2007

I can't suggest a solution to your problem, Ken, I purchased two PDF converters, only one of which is an OCE program.

The OCE does a good job, but I still find mistakes...

I often need to use the converted documents to trados them. Just out of curiosity, does Abbys Reader also leave you with text boxes, which you have to remove manually?

Cheers

Martin

Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Slovenian to German
+ ...
why using Abby Aug 30, 2007

Really dont know why you use Abbyy,if you just want to count the words in your PDF document.
No OCR software is perfect as it may not scan all the words or sentences and will thus show another count of words.

In case you do not have any special counting software, I suggest that you select in Acrobat Reader the whole document click on copy and paste it in Word. There you can count the whole document and it will be most accurate.
If the document is protected, make another pdf out it and rename it, and make the process as described above.

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
solid pdf converter Aug 31, 2007

if the words counting is what you want I guess that using solid pdf converter should be better that is if it's not a scan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can you help me with Abbyy Fine Reader 8.0

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs