Opinions on the tech dictionary by Dr. Richter
Thread poster: roak
roak
roak
United States
German to English
Sep 3, 2007

Has anyone used the Ingenieurtechnisches Wörterbuch by Dr. Richter?? I wish to know how good (or how bad) it is and how dooes it stand in comparison with the Ernst??

[Edited at 2007-09-03 12:52]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
German to English
+ ...
have you seen... Sep 3, 2007

Dictionary Review
Ingenieurtechnisches Wörterbuch. mit umfangreichen allgemeinsprachlichen Begriffen ... Richter. Discrepancies between translations in Richter and other ...
grefer.org/__oneclick_uploads/2007/03/dictionaryreview-richter_complete.pdf

... which appears to be a fairly objective and useful review.

I have (and use regularly) the Cornelsen/Richter Technisches Wörterbuch Maschinenbau, Anlagentechik und Umwelttechnik, which judging from the review
... See more
Dictionary Review
Ingenieurtechnisches Wörterbuch. mit umfangreichen allgemeinsprachlichen Begriffen ... Richter. Discrepancies between translations in Richter and other ...
grefer.org/__oneclick_uploads/2007/03/dictionaryreview-richter_complete.pdf

... which appears to be a fairly objective and useful review.

I have (and use regularly) the Cornelsen/Richter Technisches Wörterbuch Maschinenbau, Anlagentechik und Umwelttechnik, which judging from the review is the predecessor of the current dictionary.

In my opinion it is fairly reliable in the fields it addresses, although it is not complete (is any dictionary ever complete?), and the contextual information is generally helpful. Compared with Ernst, it has refreshingly few questionable (apparently antiquated or literal) translations that sometimes appear to be included solely for the sake of completeness.

[Edited at 2007-09-03 17:16]
Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:49
German to English
+ ...
Old Cornelsen-Richter quite inadequate Sep 3, 2007

I purchased the above-mentioned about six years ago, before buying Ernst. I rarely found an answer to my question in Richter and three years ago, when there was a problem with the licence when I tried to load it on my new computer, I gave up and have not regretted it. I think it was the first CD-ROM dictionary I bought and I've just got used to the idea that I wasted my money.

It could be that it is OK for terms in certain areas but it obviously did not cover the technical topic
... See more
I purchased the above-mentioned about six years ago, before buying Ernst. I rarely found an answer to my question in Richter and three years ago, when there was a problem with the licence when I tried to load it on my new computer, I gave up and have not regretted it. I think it was the first CD-ROM dictionary I bought and I've just got used to the idea that I wasted my money.

It could be that it is OK for terms in certain areas but it obviously did not cover the technical topic areas in which I was translating.

Maybe the new one is much better. Who knows?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinions on the tech dictionary by Dr. Richter

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »