Thread poster: swisstell
swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 22:01
German to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2003

Someone in Spain is using the translator resources i.e. the availability of address material to launch a heavily biased anti-US

campaign (in connection with the Iraq crisis). This to me is an abuse of the privilege of availing of so many addresses.

We are all entitled to our opinion but ProZ is hardly the forum for political campaigns in general and anti-american propaganda in particular. I find it utterly tasteless and out of place.

e-rich

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Misuse of member lists Feb 5, 2003

I also agree that this is not a proper way to use our lists. It seems to me that it even takes value away from any petition if it is sent out like that to whole lists of people that the sender does not know.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:01
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: Misuse of member lists Feb 5, 2003

Quote:

I also agree that this is not a proper way to use our lists.

Besides, first thing is that the result is the same, as if you\'d collect e-mail signatures against winter and would induce all people to post copies of signatures to , the second- it amounts to manually proliferated virus, as it results in the same, namely, increased Internet trash traffic and vaste of resources. Whatever you think o
... See more
Quote:

I also agree that this is not a proper way to use our lists.

Besides, first thing is that the result is the same, as if you\'d collect e-mail signatures against winter and would induce all people to post copies of signatures to , the second- it amounts to manually proliferated virus, as it results in the same, namely, increased Internet trash traffic and vaste of resources. Whatever you think of Iraq, chain letters are not the way to express it.
[addsig]
Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:01
English to Spanish
Abusive and useless Feb 5, 2003

Chain letters are not only abusive but also useless, because they never reach their purported destination anyway. The only thing achieved by senders of chain mail is to jam the in-box of all kinds of strangers with junk, without advancing one jot any cause they defend.

And, most certainly, this is not the purpose of the group mail feature.

wrtransco
wrtransco
Local time: 16:01
German to English
+ ...
While it may be inappropriate to use addresses... Feb 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 20:21, e-rich wrote:

Someone in Spain is using the translator resources i.e. the availability of address material to launch a heavily biased anti-US

campaign (in connection with the Iraq crisis)..... We are all entitled to our opinion but ProZ is hardly the forum for political campaigns in general and anti-american propaganda in particular.

your outrage and opi... See more
Quote:

campaign (in connection with the Iraq crisis)..... We are all entitled to our opinion but ProZ is hardly the forum for political campaigns in general and anti-american propaganda in particular.

your outrage and opinion is a political statement too and just as inappropriate as the misuse of addresses.

Since you stated yourself that this is not a forum for political campaigns. Please adhere to it.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-06 04:29] ▲ Collapse

TimeinTime (X)
TimeinTime (X)
English to French
+ ...
nooooooooooooooooooo Feb 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 21:41, Mag. RaWa wrote:

Quote:

campaign (in connection with the Iraq crisis)..... We are all entitled to our opinion but ProZ is hardly the forum for political campaigns in ge... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-05 21:41, Mag. RaWa wrote:

Quote:

your outrage and oppion is a political statement too and just as inapporpriate as the misuse of the addresses.

my address is private and not can be use for other end that for work or for my friend.I think that it is not normal that a person can have my address as it is not visible, how is it possible?

We are in our right not to want to receve those kind of emails and I do not speak about the message but the fact to have my addresse \"travelling\" around the world without my agreement. ▲ Collapse

Karlo Heppner
Karlo Heppner  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:01
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I really appreciate such debates Feb 5, 2003

but I must tell you, that I definitely did not send this petition via Proz.com.

Of course, some people in my private directory, that are also in Proz.com,and with whom I had contact beforehand, received the message.

Nevertheless, thanks for spreading the message.

Still, I want to stress once again that I have nothing to do with it, if someone received the message via Proz. com.

Thanks and nice greetings

Karlo

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:01
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Is this factiousness? Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

... and anti-american propaganda in particular.

I agree that this site is not suitable for political matters. But why in particular \"anti-american\" propaganda should be banned? Propaganda against other countries is more tolerable? Isn\'t this a \"completely international site\".

Mario Cerutti

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Proz can identify them Feb 6, 2003

Peole who do that can be identified because site owners can see everyone who has visited a site. I suggest whomever receive that email, onpass it to Henry so he can deal with it/them.

Maria Riegger (X)
Maria Riegger (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with e-rich Feb 6, 2003

This is not a politics-oriented website. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and must have respect for the opinions of others, without forcing their own subjective opinions on others.

These kind of mass mailings have no place here.

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
I got it too Feb 6, 2003

I got it too and did not find this approach so political... and I have the name of the person who has sent it to me.

Everybody is still free to delete this message. I do believe it was done with a great deal of compassion for the future victims of a war. I do not like politics but sometimes even from my ivory bureau (a small place in my house) I thins it is usable to think about what is happening.

Sorry not to be so offended as most of you.

Sorry to believe that inf
... See more
I got it too and did not find this approach so political... and I have the name of the person who has sent it to me.

Everybody is still free to delete this message. I do believe it was done with a great deal of compassion for the future victims of a war. I do not like politics but sometimes even from my ivory bureau (a small place in my house) I thins it is usable to think about what is happening.

Sorry not to be so offended as most of you.

Sorry to believe that information makes the democracy.

Regards from Belgium

Martine Etienne
Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 04:01
English
+ ...
Unfortunately Feb 6, 2003

The names on these anti-war petitions go straight into databases and then, later down the line, you get denied a visa and wonder why.

TimeinTime (X)
TimeinTime (X)
English to French
+ ...
You never contact with me Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 22:43, karlo1 wrote:

Of course, some people in my private directory, that are also in Proz.com,and with whom I had contact beforehand, received the message.

Still, I want to stress once again that I have nothing to do with it, if someone received the me... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-05 22:43, karlo1 wrote:

Still, I want to stress once again that I have nothing to do with it, if someone received the message via Proz. com.

Thanks and nice greetings

Karlo

So the only way to have my address is via Proz and I am not speaking about what was in the message but the fact that my email is not a place to receve every thing, so please do not send me those emails again, it can be denominated SPAM and it is not legal. ▲ Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Jane Feb 6, 2003

The first (and most important) thing to do if someone abuses the group e-mail function (which allows you to send a message to multiple ProZ members) is to forward the message to ProZ.com (preferably backed up by a Support Request).

I\'m afraid posting the content of this in this thread is just as objectionable - as Henry repeatedly pointed out, ProZ is not the venue for political debate.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"Disarmament now \" Chain email letter

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »