Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 16:15
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2003

We all have on our PCs a lot of valuable data and files. Some of them took us years to find or create. To loose these materials is sometimes a real catastrophe. How to keep them save when there’ra so many viruses, when your HDD may crash any moment? The answer is simple: we should backup all our important files.

But what is the best way of doing it? And the most important question: what software is better to use for that? I have already tried several programmes including MS Backup but none of them satisfied me.

Could anyone recommend a good backup programme (preferably freeware for Windows 98)?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

P.S. BTW of the programmes I\'ve tried I liked DLBackup v1.2 most of all.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-05 23:23]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:15
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Norton GHOST Feb 5, 2003

Even if it is not free- or shareware, it is worth every cent you pay for it.

Using this software you can get an installable backup of your HDD.

You can not only just backup data, but you can backup you operating system and all installed programs.

Once the PC is well configured and running you can make an image of your HDD and then restore it very quickly - much faster as reinstalling all application - to your PC.

Most important on it is, that you can use a CD-R/RW for backup purposes.

Very convenient tool.

Jerzy

Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Jerzy... Feb 6, 2003

I\'ve been following your answers to many technical PC-related questions and I trust your advice.

Now, using Norton Ghost, would you say that backing up my whole data (applications, OS, etc) and then \"installing\" the \"ghost\" on a different PC (with different RAM, processor, etc) would actually work?

I mean, would the data (specially OS and applications) \"somehow recognize\" that the physical PC is a different one, and cease to function OR malfunction?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

gamingman
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Unfortunately not... Feb 6, 2003

or it depends on dissimilarities between the to hardware. Unless you have Windows NT installed (which I doubt), you might find either that the OS on the new machine starts installing plenty of new devices, or it might completely be rendered inoperational (with applications refusing to start), in which case you have to reinstall everything.

Nevertheless, as Jerzy said, NG is a brilliant tool to restore everything on your very same PC in just several minutes, since it makes a byte-to-byte mirror of your drive.

Maria Riegger  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rewritable CDs Feb 6, 2003

I back up the docs on my hard drive on rewritable CDs once a month. I advise doing this in addition to using bakcup software.

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
One possibility: Batch command Feb 6, 2003

For data backup (not system backup) I use a secondary removable HDD. With the help of a batch command (xcopy) and Windows task planner I copy all valuable (new) data including e-mails to this HDD once a day or manually every time I wish.

Please contact me via my ProZ profile, and I can send you this small file (1 KB), which you can use as a template. It´s very easy to use, and since it copies only new files or newer versions of existing files, it is also pretty fast.

Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree with Jerzy Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-05 23:21, JCzopik wrote:

Even if it is not free- or shareware, it is worth every cent you pay for it.

Using this software you can get an installable backup of your HDD.

You can not only just backup data, but you can backup you operating system and all installed programs.

Once the PC is well configured and running you can make an image of your HDD and then restore it very quickly - much faster as reinstalling all application - to your PC.

The only inconvenience: you have to have backup HDD with same or bigger capacity as source one.

Another solution: re-arrange data on your HDD to have possibility of making backup copy on CD-RW. I use to keep all documents and other work materials on separate logical disk and make copies on CD-R.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Daniel AR Feb 6, 2003

Sorry, but I´m quite sure (even if I do not know this exactly - I had to search in the documentation of Norton Ghost, but actually have no time for that) it will not work.

Not because you won´t be able to install, but simply because of the diferrencies in the PC.

It may work on different PCs, if they have the same chipset. And you must know, the HDD must be the same in GB, otherwise Ghost will not install properly.

What Ghost makes is an image (ie. like a photo) from the whole partition - including the empty space, as far as I know, and then copies it onto an new HDD - so it must have the same dimensions.

But you can find exact informationy by www.symantec.com

Jerzy

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 21:15
English
+ ...
Another Option is a Memory Stick Feb 6, 2003

They come in sizes of 32, 64, 128Mb and up. Buy the biggest you can afford.

You just plug it into the USB port and copy your vital files onto it.

They\'re awfully small and handy and are also useful for copying software from one PC to another. I bought a 32Mb stick for about USD 20.00 here in China a few weeks ago and have been getting a slightly better night\'s sleep ever since.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
Flemish to English
+ ...
And don't miss Feb 6, 2003

If your hard disk is divided into partitions, you must copy partion per partition. The size of the partitions on the target-disk (installed as slave) must be the same as the size of the source-disk. My hard-disk is divided into three partitions with three operating-systems.

With Norton Ghost: If you miss, all your data will be gone!!

I prefer to hand in my hard-disk in a computer-shop with a good reputation and have them make a copy for the price of 25 euro. It saves you time and you are pretty sure that you will have a working copy. If your copy does not work, my computer-supplier makes a new one until it works. If the first try fails, all the other attempts to make a back-up are for free.

This better then to have to repartition a blanc hard-disk, put a OS and all the software on it.

Nowadays, DVD-RW are still expensive, but a few DVD can contain an entire hard-disk.

My 2 cents,...

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Data backup Feb 6, 2003

I use second removable HD, onto which I regularly, about once a week, I copy all My Documents, as well as, Winfax and Email programs (from the later it would suffice to copy only data folders, but I\'m too lazy to). Daily I copy to CD folders, in which in the course of the day some changes have occurred. Second inbuilt HD doesn\'t give desirable results, two times, when my FAT went, it happened on both HDs simultaneously, and recovery, though possible, is expensive, it usually is done, manually rewriting FAT via Linux, so I wouldn’t recommend to backup data onto the second stationary HD.

Besides I regularly backup data to other local network machines.

On 2003-02-05 22:43, Nikita Kobrin wrote:

We all have on our PCs a lot of valuable data and files. Some of them took us years to find or create.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-06 13:39]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: data backup- Northon Ghost Feb 6, 2003

Besides- as to Nothon Ghost- if you make this image file on the same hard drive you keep data or system, little it will help you, when you\'ll have to reinstall the system, starting with Format:/C
[addsig]

StefanR  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Different approaches - your needs Feb 6, 2003

There are different approaches:

1. Backing up your whole hard drive using a so called imaging software (like Norton Ghost.) However, it\'s time consuming since you have to change a lot of CDs. And Norton Ghost does not work with all CD-recorders.

2. Backing up the most vital files on your system (docs, emails, databases, etc.) onto CD-RW or other media. Numerous backup packages with all kinds of features are on the market for this purpose. The best value-for-money seems to be \"SmartBackup\" at http://www.jam-software.com. 30 day trial available. It\'s got a lot of features, but nevertheless very simple to operate, however it requires a so called Paket Writing software, which comes with any major CD-burning software. Cost approx $15.

More expensve solutions like \"BackupMyPC\" do not require Packet Writing Software.

3. Using so-called online-backup. This is a method whereby you store your data (either your whole hard disk or your most vital data on an external computer (called server). This is a service provided by several companies. They will provide the backup software for a monthly fee. The great advantage is: you are prepared for any catastrophe such as fire, water damage, theft. All the other solutions would fail in such cases since your CD-RWs with the backed up data would become unusable. The best and cheapest in this regard seems to be \"BackupSolutions\" at http://www.backuphelp.com. 30 day trial available. Cost: either $14,95/month for storing vital data up to 4GB or $24,95/month to backup your whole hard disk. This software will keep 10 Versions of all your backed up files, another advantage, very useful in case files have become corrupted or you would like to recover an older version for whatever reason. I\'ve tried it now for 3 weeks and it works like a charm (backup and restoring), but it is rather expensive, however believe it\'s worth it if one considers the value of the data. And you don\'t have to think about backing up your data, it runs all automatically in the background.

FWIW,

StefanR

[ This Message was edited byn2003-02-06 17:56]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-06 17:58]

gamingman
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Furtunately... Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-06 12:55, uldis wrote:

Besides- as to Nothon Ghost- if you make this image file on the same hard drive you keep data or system, little it will help you, when you\'ll have to reinstall the system, starting with Format:/C

you cannot make the image on the same drive, or partition, you are making an image of.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backup is a must! But how to do it?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs