Off topic: word count of revised documents
Thread poster: Wolfgang BRECH

Wolfgang BRECH  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
German to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2003

I am faced with a „sweet“ problem!

I am working on the translation of a huge proposal that was started by a colleague of mine who couldn’t finish the project due to health reasons.

When I took over the project I did not realise the \"nasty attachments\" proposals usually come with: REVISIONS UPON REVISIONS!

My question is, how to calculate the word count, and how do you charge for revisions WITHIN a document? If you have ever worked with “shared documents” within WORD2002, that let’s you keep track of additions, deletions and revisions of multiple writers of the document, you know it’s a nifty thing, but...

Not only that, but currently the proposal incorporates both languages to ensure correct translation (each paragraph of the original text is followed by the translation) To even estimate the word count of the target language at this point is impossible!

What I could do at the end of the project, cut and paste the translated text into a new document and thereby calculate the number of words, using an appropriate word calculator (which I have).

If anyone out there has ever dealt with this “problem”, how do you charge your client for these multiple revisions? Since there is more work coming down the line, I do not want to overcharge the client, but I also don’t want to be short changed either?

Any suggestions?

Thank you all!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
German to English
+ ...
Counting different languages Feb 6, 2003

Just a thought, can\'t help you with most of your queries, but if your text includes two different languages, they are presumably marked as such for proofing purposes. So all you need do is copy the file, then search on your source language and replace it with nothing. Bingo, you have a document with only the target language

When it comes to revisions, the best way is often to charge by the hour. Otherwise you can end up wasting so much time trying to work out how much work you have actually done!

English to Portuguese
By the hour Feb 6, 2003

I have done similar jobs and I always do it by the hour. This is usually quite ok with end clients. For agencies I very rarely accept jobs like that to avoid difficult situations associated with too much time spent and too little pay. It all depends on whether you can renegotiate based on newly found difficulties after first quotation. If you can, may be you could propose hourly pay for any translation related to revisions.

Hope it helps

Best regards,

Mónica Machado

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word count of revised documents

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs