Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Aquarius membership: Any experience ? Is it useful ?
Thread poster: Christophe Bartholomeus
Christophe Bartholomeus
Belgium
Local time: 01:48
English to French
+ ...
Dec 17, 2001

Hello dear colleagues,

Is someone registered at http://www.aquarius.net ?

Any experience ? Is it useful ?

Thanks,

Christophe

Direct link Reply with quote

Anila Mayhew  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
English to Albanian
+ ...
It depends on the language pair Dec 17, 2001

I am registered at Aquarius as a regular member but as such you can\'t bid unless you have a higher membership where you would need to pay a fee.

Because my language pair is not very common I haven\'t upgrated my membership since I have noticed that there isn\'t much going on in my language pair.

If you have the time to sign up, I would suggest that you do it and then see how much activity there is.

Personally, I think that there is less activity compared to ProZ.

All the best,

A. Mayhew

FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Useless Dec 17, 2001

Hi Cristophe!

I\'m a member (Silver). Never got any job though. Infact, I\'m not going to renew my membership.

However, I am a member here in Proz since two years, and never got any job either...

But I am going to stay, because at least I can have some fun and meet a lot of interesting and crazy people...

And share a little knowledge, of course...

Francesco

Youri PIEDBOIS
France
English to French
+ ...
It doesn't work for translation Dec 18, 2001

I am a registered member of aquarius.net. I didn\'t pay anything, so I am not able to bid for jobs. Anyway, as they get few responses from their paying members, most of their translation jobs are published on mailing lists by their staff members. All you need is to subscribe to the following groups and then to contacts the outsourcers directly.

tr_jobs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

jobs-translators-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

translation-jobs-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

HTH,

Youri

Scott Li  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:48
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
It is useless now. Dec 18, 2001

The site used to be as good as Proz.com now.

Now we post no more jobs and visit there may be twice a year only.

complicated platform.

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

My experience: Discouraging! Dec 18, 2001

I used to be a paying member. I never got a job via Aquarius.

I do deu/eng/fra/esl>sve and I get many jobs most of them through or thanks to ProZ (KudoZ).

I find their site of no use, their policies disgusting and I don\'t pay anymore

MW

Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 05:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hello Matts Dec 18, 2001

Matts,

Your information about Aquarius has been useful. In fact, I was thinking of being their paying member because once or twice I got jobs through them. But now I may not take up their membership, following your experience.

Wolfgang Tiefert
English to German
Really useless Dec 18, 2001

Hi Christohe,

I am registered as a silver member and I also never got a job.

HTH

Wolfgang

David Meléndez Tormen  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Once a lively community, it seems to be a declining marketplace Dec 18, 2001

Hi,

I\'m a Gold member in Aquarius, that is, I paid 150 euros to have the right to bid to its postings. However, I have never got a job from there, though I have bid lots of times. This is not my experience here in Proz where, apart from participating in a lively community and making some very good friends, I\'ve got many clients and jobs, even in quite a competitive pair as English into Spanish is. About a year ago I was discovering the on-line translation world and I could see Aquarius was a pretty active community too, with busy forums and free bids, but apparently (I don\'t have the exact info) it was bought by another company that started to charge for bidding and put in other limitations... and they got the site they are today. Finally, I will definitely not renew my membership since it didn\'t meet any of my expectations.

Polymathe Ltd.  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:48
English to French
+ ...
I did get a job once... Dec 18, 2001

Hi everybody,

I am a French native translator and a Gold Member of Aquarius.net.

The fact is that, although it is not as \"alive\" as the ProZ website, I did get a job from Aquarius.net once. I just had registered and one week after I had a job that actually reimbursed, multiplicated by ten, my subsription fee. So as Gold Member of Aquarius, my experience is OK.

The fact is that I registered on ProZ long ago (almost since the beginning) and I never got anything through this channel...

So, as always, it depends...

Cheers,

Charalambos KATSIDONIS (Mr.)

French native translator
[addsig]

Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:48
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Aquarius membership Dec 18, 2001

Even if I haven\'t got a job through aquarius yet, I still think that aquarius is worth trying. I like the fact, as it is on ProZ, that one can bid for certain jobs and that there are certain information which can be shared among the translators. My bottom line is: If you don\'t expose yourself to the (online) world, how would they know what you have to offer?
[addsig]

bochkor
Local time: 19:48
English to German
+ ...
To the posting right above mine Dec 18, 2001

You must be working for Aquarius.net, because you are hiding your identity, yet you are the only one in defense of Aquarius after so many negative experiences posted above. While there would be nothing wrong with still standing up for Aquarius, IF you had a good argument, but you don\'t! Your reasons are generalized and therefore rather sound like a futile attempt to advertise them.

Note from site staff: The names of new ProZ.com members appear in these forums only after a few days. Charalambos had no way to make his name available immediately.

My personal experience with Aquarius is that a long time ago I tried to sign up with them, but after going through the trouble of filling out their excessively long form, when I hit submit, I just got a technical error from their server and my whole information was lost. At that point I got so mad that I\'ve never tried again and rightfully so, because if they can\'t even fix their computer, then what the hell should I be paying for?

P.S.: In the meantime, a few hours later the above person added her ID. I don\'t know why it wasn\'t added in the first place, which sure looks suspicious. Aquarius is Holland-based, while the above writer is in Germany, so I\'m not sure, if there\'s a connection or she\'s just a positivist, no matter what common sense (the concrete experience of other translators) dictates. But the posting sure was strange.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-18 16:31 ]

xxxwilliamson
Dutch to English
+ ...
Pro Aquarius Dec 18, 2001

I am pro Aquarius because in the past I got some interesting assignments through them. Not directly by bidding, but indirectly because agencies had browsed through their files.

Moreover, they have a cut-off rate, which impedes the people who post the 0.03$ jobs from doing so. €0.07 is the absolute minimum. There is no such thing as KudoZ (which is used by some colleagues who do not even know the basic (German) business-vocabulary to have that terminology translated for free by members of the Proz.community). Aquarius does not have its \"forum-stars\", who have a vested interest in the forums and feel a need to drive translation in the direction, whichever suits them best.

corinne durand  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
English to French
+ ...
is that not a bit harsh? Dec 18, 2001

Hi Lazlo,

I found your comments a bit harsh! From what I read of the previous message to yours, it did not seem to me that that person obviously worked for aquarius or that her posting was strange!!! I thought her point was reasonable and she did not mention anything about a paying subscription, she just said that it was an opportunity to advertise your services online (for free if you wish, although free members do not get much out of aquarius!). As far as my own experience goes, I ave been registered (for free) for a couple of months and recently I did decide to pay for a silver membership (after a lot of hesitation as there does not seem to be a lot of Aquarius job postings compared to Proz and I was wondering why outsourcers would choose aquarius rather than Proz, if not for getting less response maybe???) and I still have not got any jobs out of it. I also resented the fact that I should pay a 5% fee in the event that I did get a job on top of paying for membership (about 60 euros including VAT) when I do not really see other benefits to the site rather than being able to bid for jobs... maybe I have not explored enough of it... what is sure is that they\'d better get their act together and start changing their policy one way or another or start offering a better, wider service or I do not see them surviving the competition that Proz offers, even when Proz start charging a fee... overall it seems to me that Proz is much friendlier and does not have the obvious money-grabber attitude that Aquarius seems to have. Why did I decide to go for it then? I did have the money to invest in it at the time and hopefully I will get at least one job within the next year that will pay more than my membership fee...

Corinne
[addsig]

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
German to English
+ ...
Same experience Dec 19, 2001

I had the same experience as László Bochkor. Filling out page after page, when I hit submit, I just got a technical error from their server and my whole information was lost. I tried again with another browser - same story. I wasted an hour of my life and will definitely not go through this again.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aquarius membership: Any experience ? Is it useful ?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs