Mobile menu

Italian-English CD-Rom - Word toggle?
Thread poster: Christiane Hargrave
Christiane Hargrave  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2007

Does anyone know the name of the Italian-English CD-Rom that allows you to 'toggle' (ie highlight the unknown Italian word in MS Word, and its English translation comes up automatically above the Italian word?) - I only heard about it from the post below by Katherine Zei... does this actually exist, and if so, what is the name of the dictionary? (Garzanti doesn't make any reference to doing this...)

Ragazzini Feb 12

I use the Ragazzini which has a lot of expressions and entries, but is a bit of a pain to use. You can't paste words into the query box, and you have to put in the masc. sing. or infinitive version of the word otherwise it won't recognise it.

I like Ragazzini... but I should have bought the one (I think it's Garzanti) that has the Word toggle that allows you to click on the word in Word and it will show you the entry on the same screen.

Usability is almost a more important factor than the number of words, I've found.

Good luck!

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Garzanti Sep 16, 2007

It's Garzanti. You can use its "point & go" function function, which allows you to drag a magnifying glass to the word you need and a box opens with the dictionary entry.
The CD came with the dictionary I bought a few years ago, so I don't know what they're offering now. Every so often it makes Word freeze, but it's pretty rare!

Christiane Hargrave  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Title: GRANDE Dizionario Hazon Inglese 2008 in CD-ROM Sep 17, 2007

Thanks Catherine,

Yes it is indeed Garzanti - I have just ordered the CD-Rom (without the big book) thru the Garzanti site (which goes directly to - Internet Bookshop Italia) - see the following info:

Title: GRANDE Dizionario Hazon Inglese 2008 in CD-ROM

The dictionary allows:

integration with all Microsoft Office® applications through Point&Go technology, which enables displaying definitions of words found in Word documents, webpages, and email

integration with Microsoft Word® allows a dictionary search to be launched right from the word-processing environment

AUTHORS Multiple Contributors

LANGUAGE English-Italian

SERIES CD-ROM Dictionaries

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 98 SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista

ISBN NUMBER 978-88-480-0080-2

PRICE 31,50 €

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian-English CD-Rom - Word toggle?

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs