Mobile menu

Italian-English CD-Rom - Word toggle?
Thread poster: Christiane Hargrave
Christiane Hargrave  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
French to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2007

Does anyone know the name of the Italian-English CD-Rom that allows you to 'toggle' (ie highlight the unknown Italian word in MS Word, and its English translation comes up automatically above the Italian word?) - I only heard about it from the post below by Katherine Zei... does this actually exist, and if so, what is the name of the dictionary? (Garzanti doesn't make any reference to doing this...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ragazzini Feb 12

I use the Ragazzini which has a lot of expressions and entries, but is a bit of a pain to use. You can't paste words into the query box, and you have to put in the masc. sing. or infinitive version of the word otherwise it won't recognise it.

I like Ragazzini... but I should have bought the one (I think it's Garzanti) that has the Word toggle that allows you to click on the word in Word and it will show you the entry on the same screen.

Usability is almost a more important factor than the number of words, I've found.

Good luck!
kz

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:27
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Garzanti Sep 16, 2007

Hi,
It's Garzanti. You can use its "point & go" function function, which allows you to drag a magnifying glass to the word you need and a box opens with the dictionary entry.
The CD came with the dictionary I bought a few years ago, so I don't know what they're offering now. Every so often it makes Word freeze, but it's pretty rare!
HTH
Catherine

Christiane Hargrave  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Title: GRANDE Dizionario Hazon Inglese 2008 in CD-ROM Sep 17, 2007

Thanks Catherine,

Yes it is indeed Garzanti - I have just ordered the CD-Rom (without the big book) thru the Garzanti site (which goes directly to http://www.ibs.it - Internet Bookshop Italia) - see the following info:

Title: GRANDE Dizionario Hazon Inglese 2008 in CD-ROM

Integration
The dictionary allows:

integration with all Microsoft Office® applications through Point&Go technology, which enables displaying definitions of words found in Word documents, webpages, and email

integration with Microsoft Word® allows a dictionary search to be launched right from the word-processing environment

http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/catalogo.html?action=dettaglio&id=239

AUTHORS Multiple Contributors

LANGUAGE English-Italian
Italian-English

SERIES CD-ROM Dictionaries

YEAR PUBLISHED 2007

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 98 SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista

ISBN NUMBER 978-88-480-0080-2

PRICE 31,50 €

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian-English CD-Rom - Word toggle?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs