Mobile menu

German (English) Technical Dictionaries
Thread poster: Kay Fisher
Kay Fisher
German to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2003

OK I did a quick search of the forums and couldn\'t find this topic, so here is the question. I\'m thinking of investing in a technical dictionary (German to English) or maybe two. I already have a Langenscheidts dictionary of chemistry and two materials science dictionaries but could do with a good general technical dictionary. Can anyone give me any recommendations? I\'ve seen that a lot of people in my language combination use Ernst, but is this the best one?

TIA

Kay

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 07:45
German to English
There are a few possibilities Feb 10, 2003

I\'m waiting for the new Ernst (the German>Eng version has been due for a while; the CD-ROM relies on the older version for this direction, although ENG>GER is more current), so I\'ve been relying on Kucera, \"WB der exakten Naturwissenschaften und der Technik\" 2002, ISBN 3-87097-150-9. The old Walther has been updated, but I haven\'t used it much (and a customer has it at the moment, so I can\'t give you the exact details). The Krupp/Langenscheidt \"FachWB Maschinen- und Anlagenbau\" 1999, ISBN 3-86117-138-4 has been useful in a variety of contexts. The Bezner/Siemens \"FachWB industrielle Ellektrotechnik, Energie-und Automatisierungstechnik\" has been amazingly useful for all sorts of computer/electronics/robotics applications, 1998, ISBN 3-89578-077-4. There\'s a new edition on the horizon.

HTH, Kevin

Kay Fisher
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 10, 2003

Thanks, Kevin. Gives me a good starting point!

Kay

Kay Fisher
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 10, 2003

Thanks, Kevin. Gives me a good starting point!

Kay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German (English) Technical Dictionaries

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs