https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/8536-are_there_any_translator_websites_that_provide_blacklists_of_non_paying_agencies.html

Are there any translator websites that provide blacklists of non-paying agencies?
Thread poster: Simon Geoghegan
Simon Geoghegan
Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Russian to English
Feb 12, 2003

Forgive me if this question has been posed before.

But I\'m about to accept a very large job from a translation agency who contacted me out of the blue. I have no problem with this but I do want to check their credentials.

I\'ve checked their website and I\'ve checked them on the proz.com blueboard.

I seem to remember seeing on this forum some information concerning other websites who provide blacklists of non-paying agencies. Does anyone have these we
... See more

But I\'m about to accept a very large job from a translation agency who contacted me out of the blue. I have no problem with this but I do want to check their credentials.

I seem to remember seeing on this forum some information concerning other websites who provide blacklists of non-paying agencies. Does anyone have these websites to hand?

Does anyone have any tips on ensuring that agencies will pay for your work before you start translating a project for them?

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:58
SITE FOUNDER
Check the Blue Board Feb 12, 2003

The Blue Board is not a blacklist. But you may be able to find how other people have expressed their likelihood of working again with your agency:

http://www.proz.com/blueboard/

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 15:58
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Ask payment in advance Feb 12, 2003

That is the best test...
[addsig]

Simon Geoghegan
United Kingdom
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried the Blue board but no-one had posted any comments. Feb 12, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-02-12 18:02, Henry wrote:

The Blue Board is not a blacklist. But you may be able to find how other people have expressed their likelihood of working again with your agency:

Thanks for the tip Henry. I checked out the Blue Board and indeed, the agency was on it. Unfortunately no-one had posted any comments on this agency.

If an agency is registered on the Blue Board does this generally mean that they are more trustworthy?

Cristina Marullo Reetdz
Cristina Marullo Reetdz  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask to be payed in advance Feb 12, 2003

Personally I think this is the best way to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Have a nice day

Cristina

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:58
SITE FOUNDER
Other resources Feb 12, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-12 18:14, Simon1 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Henry. I checked out the Blue Board and indeed, the agency was on it. Unfortunately no-one had posted any comments on this agency.

If an agency is registered on the Blue Board does this generally mean that they are more trustworthy?

No, you can not conclude anything from that. You might consider trying either t... See more
Quote:

No, you can not conclude anything from that. You might consider trying either the Payment Practices list ( free, http://www.topica.com/lists/transpayment/ ) or TCR ( $12/yr, http://www.tcrlist.com ). ▲ Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Payment Practices Feb 12, 2003

You can also make an inquiry through the Payment Practices list:

http://www.trwenterprises.com/pp_inquiry.htm

You\'ll have to subscribe first though (it is free).

Simon Geoghegan
United Kingdom
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips. Feb 12, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-02-12 18:30, Henry wrote:

Quote:

No, you can not conclude anything from that. You might consider trying either the Payment Practices list ( free,

smoralestrad
smoralestrad
English to Spanish
+ ...
Transpayment Feb 13, 2003

Transpayment is a very active forum where to find other translator\'s experiences regarding the reliability of some agencies.

You can find it in www.smartgroups.com.

Hope it helps.

Susana

Edith Rommelfangen
Edith Rommelfangen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
List of payment practice Feb 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-12 17:56, Simon1 wrote:

I seem to remember seeing on this forum some inf... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-12 17:56, Simon1 wrote:

I seem to remember seeing on this forum some information concerning other websites who provide blacklists of non-paying agencies. Does anyone have these websites to hand?

Does anyone have any tips on ensuring that agencies will pay for your work before you start translating a project for them?

Dear Simon,

one very good list is payment practice (worldwide) in yahoo newsgroups. Another, which I am also member in, is Zahlungspraxis for Germany, Swiss, Austria and countries of the EC. If you give me the name of the agency, I will place a request for information and return the feedback to you.

best regards

Edith Rommelfangen
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Simon Geoghegan
United Kingdom
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for your kind offer. Feb 14, 2003

[/quote]

Dear Simon,

one very good list is payment practice (worldwide) in yahoo newsgroups. Another, which I am also member in, is Zahlungspraxis for Germany, Swiss, Austria and countries of the EC. If you give me the name of the agency, I will place a request for information and return the feedback to you.

best regards

Edith Rommelfangen

[/quote]

Edith,
... See more

[/quote]

Dear Simon,

best regards

Edith Rommelfangen

[/quote]

Edith,

Many thanks for your kind offer. Unfortunately the agency in question is from a country outside the E.U.

I will certainly check out the other suggestion you made.
Collapse

Simon Geoghegan
United Kingdom
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone for your tips and help. Feb 14, 2003

Thank you all for your tips and help.

A big thank you especially to Edith for your kind offer to check out E.U. agencies. Unfortunately the agency that I am dealing with is from outside the E.U. But thanks for the offer all the same!

I hope with all this information, which you\'ve given that I shoud have a fairly accurate picture of this agency\'s trustworthiness.

All the best,

Simon Geoghegan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any translator websites that provide blacklists of non-paying agencies?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »