Thread poster: AllisonK

AllisonK  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:20
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2007

I'm thinking of buying Office 2007 and was wondering if anyone has experienced problems with this when working in Trados. I can't seem to find anything on SDL's site, but then again, I didn't have the patience to look for hours (1 was enough).
Thanks!

NEVER MIND - found the info on the proZ link to the Trados 2007 SP 1 - it appears this is compatible with Office 2007.
I'll leave this on here in case anyone else was wondering about this and like me, was too lazy to investigate further.

[Edited at 2007-10-11 11:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 and MultiTerm 2007 can not yet be recommended. Oct 11, 2007

Hi Allison

Many translators I know have gone back to Trados 7.5 on a Windows XP SP2 OS with Office 2003 installed, because of the massive problems with Trados 2007. I found out the hard way: loss of an important TM, loss of several termbases.

Also the upgrade to Office 2007 seems not to be worth the trouble. Same applies to Vista.

The most stable and thus recommendable combination appears to be Trados 7.5 with Multiterm iX on an XP pc with Office 2003.

If you want to fool around, try on another, not vitally important computer. Always backup your data first.

Groeten van de gebeten hond.

Alpár-László Krecht  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Very slow Oct 11, 2007

Trados 2007 with Office 2007 is working extremly slow. The usual shortcut keys (ex. Left alt + "+") are not functioning.
To the other hand there are problems with the new .docx format. If I convert a document back in the old .doc format, opening this document in old Word can cause computer crash.

Netherlands
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 11, 2007

Thanks Marinus -
I recently updated Trados 2006 (that's 7.5 I think?) to 2007 and so far haven't had any problems - I'm working in Windows and Office XP (SP2) and all seems fine.....so far. I downloaded the SP1 from Trados as well.
Fingers crossed.
I'm dreading buying a new PC next year because of Vista - in the NL (maybe everywhere?) after a certain point in Jan 08, it won't be possible to buy a new computer with XP anymore - an issue I need to investigate.
Thanks again for your help!

Netherlands
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 11, 2007

Thank you Alpar - I am now convinced not to bother with Office 2007 until everybody works out the bugs!!

Ricksta
Local time: 05:20
Japanese to English
Trados 2007 Oct 20, 2007

Trados 2007 has more bugs than a tropical rain forest. Do not buy it!

Nina Joergensen  Identity Verified
French to Danish
+ ...
What to buy? Oct 22, 2007

I have decided to buy Trados.

If Trados 2007 can not be recommended, what should I buy? Is the old version still available?

Eric Zhou
Local time: 04:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Trados Dec 5, 2007

Trados is a good thing and i'm working with it now.
Hope to find more of it...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2007 and Trados 2007

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs