CAT tool for power point?
Thread poster: Raluca Ion

Raluca Ion  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
English to Romanian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2003

I thought I could use wordfast to translate the text in power point slides but it either doesn´t do that, or I don´t know how it works. Does anybody know of a (free) CAT tool that works with power point? I have a huge document, with all possible types of fonts and tables, and the idea of having to translate without a tool..*shrug*. I don´t even know where to begin...

Thanks!

raluca

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:12
English to German
+ ...
Not a free one... Feb 18, 2003

...but you could use Trados T-Window for PowerPoint. Not the best environment to work in either - but I believe that\'s more a PPT problem...

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Déjà Vu Feb 18, 2003

You could download a 30-day trial version of DV from http://www.atril.com/. DV is just the perfect tool for PPT files. Give it a try!

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
CAT tool for PowerPoint Feb 18, 2003

You could try OmegaT (free). You would first need to import the PPT file into OpenOffice.org (also free), and when you\'ve finished, open it in OpenOffice.org again and save as PowerPoint.

If you do try it, you\'ll probably be the first person to do so. Try 0.9.9, the 1.0.0 version is better but still buggy.

Marc

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
SDLX Feb 18, 2003

You can download a full version of SDLX 4.2.1 free (with support) for 30 days.

I works perfect with Power Point, Excel, HTLM-Files and Word documents.

http://www.sdlintl.com/products

Regards

Geneviève

Raluca Ion  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Feb 18, 2003

Thank you so much for all the ideas! I will take a look at them. And about Wordfast-it was a question of RTFM . It DOES work with pp, in a funny way, though... The translation is somehow done in pp and word simultaneously. You do the actual typing in word, and the translated text is entered in the pp document...by magic or something . Awe inspiring . Tried it a little, seemed to work. Hope it´ll hold for the entire document.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You CAN translate PPT with Wordfast Feb 18, 2003

Hi,

I just took a look at my wordfast manual and found the following instructions on translating PowerPoint slides with Wordfast:

Excel, PowerPoint & Access

This feature should be tested before use, because Wordfast may have difficulties initiating the necessary Ms-Office links.

1. Start Excel (or PowerPoint or Access), open the sheet (or presentation or table), place the cursor in the cell (or slide/shape or record/field) where the translation should begin (note: do not actually enter the cell/shape/field, as when you want to edit it - just position the cursor on it).

2. Go back to MsWord, start a Wordfast translation session on an empty Word document.

If you resume translation after having closed the translation session, re-open the last segment in the Ms-Word document and click the Next segment icon. This allows Wordfast to \"know\" from which slide, shape or record to resume working.

Remarks:

1. There should be no read/write restrictions on the remote document.

2. This feature can be combined with Wordfast\'s Translate tool, Xtrans! tool, or the MT facility.

3. With Excel, if you wish to exclude columns/lines from the translation, give them a width/height of 0.

4. With PowerPoint, I recommend using Word2000, which is compatible with PowerPoint\'s color scheme (with Word97, you risk reducing the number of colors used in the PPT presentation).

If you wish to exclude slide notes fom the translation, enter \"NoPowerPointNotes\" in Pandora\'s box.

5. A document used to translate an Excel/PowerPoint/Access file is linked to that application. Use the Wordfast menu option \"Unlink\" (shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+U) on a document to unlink it, or \"Relink\" to re-link it (shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+V) to the source application and file. This may be useful if, for example, the translated file has to be revised in the absence of the source application.

Good luck

Sonja

Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
German to English
Sonja is right Feb 18, 2003

Hello all,

Sonja is right - that is how I always use Wordfast to translate PP files. It works perfectly, even if it does seem a bit unusual at first!

Have fun

Anthony Williams

Vienna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool for power point?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs