Thread poster: Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2007

Hi everyone

I am working on a text (EN>IT) about coaching sales reps. Can anyone suggest an IT glossary which could help me with the technical terminology?

Direct link Reply with quote

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do you miss just the fancy words? Oct 22, 2007

Ciao, Debora,

I've been doing it between EN>PT-BR for well over a decade now, and the technical words in sales training are either straightforward, or fancy words that belong to a specific training package.

For instance "customer needs" (EN) is always "necessidades do cliente" (PT), which I'd guess should be "necessità del cliente" in IT. This is standard and shouldn't be changed throughout a program for the sake of consistency.

However Americans tend to talk over and over again about "satisfying customer needs", sometimes about "fulfilling" them. Most inexperienced or careless translators use "satisfazer as necessidades do cliente" (PT). I don't know if "soddisfare le necessità" (without a client involved) has any other meaning in IT, but "satisfazer as necessidades" alone, at least in Brazil, is an euphemic way to refer to "getting toilet relief", if you get what I mean.

The other case is the fancy expressions such as "Power Close", "Selling Benefits", "Consultative Selling" that can either be translated directly, or left in English, if they are the author's trademark.

The worst about translating sales coaching is in translating "coaching" itself into any Latin language, where a coach is usually a trainer. Some clients prefer it left in English, others would go for orientazione, guida or something similar, I guess.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossario sulle tecniche di vendita

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs