Mobile menu

Looking for tips on Wordfast and group buys
Thread poster: enska
enska
Icelandic to English
Oct 30, 2007

Hi,

I'm a freelance translator and just getting started with translation tools. I've been perusing the posts here and also asking around for recommendations, and it seems that a lot of people like Wordfast for its interface and also because it's relatively easy on the budget.

I've got a fairly large database of translations already and am wondering whether the translations I've already completed can be entered into the new Wordfast database? Or do I have to start from scratch by using it, and build up the database that way?

Also, I've noticed something called 'group buying' here on the site (as you see, I'm just starting to look around on ProZ too) and am wondering how that works. Clearly it means a better deal on purchases, but does anyone have any experience with it - good or bad? If a purchase is made in that way, does each individual customer get issued a receipt to use for tax purposes, for example? And how long does one normally have to wait until the purchaser quota is filled?

Grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

Alda

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Adding old translations to Wordfast Nov 4, 2007

enska wrote:
I've got a fairly large database of translations already and am wondering whether the translations I've already completed can be entered into the new Wordfast database?

Yes. The Wordfast "database" is called a TM (translation memory) and you can add the old translations to it using a process called "alignment". Alignment can be done with PlusTools, which can be downloaded from the Wordfast web site for free.

In fact, if you don't buy Wordfast, you can still use the aligner in PlusTools. The PlusTools aligner creates TMs in the Wordfast format, but you can convert it to a different format (say, TMX, which can be read by other CAT tools) by using an unregistered version of Wordfast (although Wordfast will warn you that you won't be able to use the TM in Wordfast if it is larger than 500 segments).

Think carefully before aligning your files. Alignment is only partially automatic and it can take a lot of time to align your files. Do it only for texts that contain sentences that will very likely occur again in new jobs, or for texts that are likely to contain useful phrases and terminology.

Unless I'm mistaken, Icelandic is fairly simple to segment, so you would probably be able to use PlusTools with the default settings.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for tips on Wordfast and group buys

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs