Mobile menu

Legal dictionnary French/English (not very good)
Thread poster: xxxcvaudry
French to English
Mar 4, 2003

I\'ve just sent back Dahl\'s Law Dictionnary to for a refund....Its the new version, costs around 50 Euro.

I can\'t recommend it, its written by an American with loads of diplomas but, as far as I can see, nothing particularly French. I didn\'t agree with the entry for more than a few of the translations given for particular words, which seemed a bit simplistic. For example, for \"police judiciare\" was the entry \"judicial police\"!!! (Do \"judicial police\" exist in the US?!! From my Scottish/UK lawyer standpoint, seems a bit translated \"word for word\"). In the 3 minutes it took for me to decide to send the book back, I also saw a typing error.

It might be useful to understand the legal concepts, but as a translation tool, I wouldn\'t recommend it.

Sorry Mr Dahl!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Holger Gremminger
Local time: 02:17
German to Swedish
+ ...
Rating Mar 6, 2003

Did you give it a negative rating in the Amazon-system? This could help other searching persons to avoid it.

Dylan Edwards  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:17
Greek to English
+ ...
Council of Europe Dictionary sets the standard Mar 10, 2003

That certainly sounds a disappointing dictionary. I don\'t do a great deal of translation from French these days, but over the years I have translated court judgments and other legal documents from French, so I have some idea of what I\'m looking for in dictionaries. You probably know F.H.S. Bridge\'s \"The Council of Europe French-English Dictionary\" (1994, reprinted 1996). I bought it in 1999 (or 2000?) when faced with a particularly challenging job, when I definitely needed to go one step beyond good old Harrap.

As a basis for comparison, I looked up \"police judiciaire\" in this dictionary, and found not just a translation, but also a good, succinct explanation. So the Council of Europe dictionary remains a sort of yardstick for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal dictionnary French/English (not very good)

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs