Legal dictionnary French/English (not very good)
Thread poster: xxxcvaudry
xxxcvaudry
French to English
Mar 4, 2003

I\'ve just sent back Dahl\'s Law Dictionnary to amazon.fr for a refund....Its the new version, costs around 50 Euro.

I can\'t recommend it, its written by an American with loads of diplomas but, as far as I can see, nothing particularly French. I didn\'t agree with the entry for more than a few of the translations given for particular words, which seemed a bit simplistic. For example, for \"police judiciare\" was the entry \"judicial police\"!!! (Do \"judicial police\" exist in the US?!! From my Scottish/UK lawyer standpoint, seems a bit translated \"word for word\"). In the 3 minutes it took for me to decide to send the book back, I also saw a typing error.

It might be useful to understand the legal concepts, but as a translation tool, I wouldn\'t recommend it.

Sorry Mr Dahl!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Holger Gremminger
Local time: 22:53
German to Swedish
+ ...
Rating Mar 6, 2003

Did you give it a negative rating in the Amazon-system? This could help other searching persons to avoid it.

/Holger

Dylan Edwards  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:53
Greek to English
+ ...
Council of Europe Dictionary sets the standard Mar 10, 2003

That certainly sounds a disappointing dictionary. I don\'t do a great deal of translation from French these days, but over the years I have translated court judgments and other legal documents from French, so I have some idea of what I\'m looking for in dictionaries. You probably know F.H.S. Bridge\'s \"The Council of Europe French-English Dictionary\" (1994, reprinted 1996). I bought it in 1999 (or 2000?) when faced with a particularly challenging job, when I definitely needed to go one step beyond good old Harrap.

As a basis for comparison, I looked up \"police judiciaire\" in this dictionary, and found not just a translation, but also a good, succinct explanation. So the Council of Europe dictionary remains a sort of yardstick for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal dictionnary French/English (not very good)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums