https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/91184-accounts_translation_resources.html

Accounts translation- resources
Thread poster: David Howard
David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
French to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2007

When translating accounts, and in particular the auditors report that goes with them, is there a standard translation for the following text:

Rapport général du commissaire aux comptes
Exercice clos le 30 septembre 2007
Mesdames, Messieurs,
En exécution de la mission qui nous a été confiée par l’assemblée générale, nous vous
présentons notre rapport relatif à l'exercice clos le 30 septembre 2007, sur :
• le contrôle des comptes a
... See more
When translating accounts, and in particular the auditors report that goes with them, is there a standard translation for the following text:

Rapport général du commissaire aux comptes
Exercice clos le 30 septembre 2007
Mesdames, Messieurs,
En exécution de la mission qui nous a été confiée par l’assemblée générale, nous vous
présentons notre rapport relatif à l'exercice clos le 30 septembre 2007, sur :
• le contrôle des comptes annuels de la société xxxxxxxxxx., tels qu'ils sont joints
au présent rapport ;
• la justification de nos appréciations ;
• les vérifications spécifiques et les informations prévues par la loi.
Les comptes annuels ont été arrêtés par le Président. Il nous appartient, sur la base de notre
audit, d'exprimer une opinion sur ces comptes.

The above text goes on further but I have no space for it here. It appears on most auditors reports I've seen and would like to know how to go about translating it. I doubt there's a literal equivalent, but what's the usual approach.

Any help valued, thanks in advance,

David

[Edited at 2007-12-05 23:55]
Collapse

canaria
canaria
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Excellent reference book Dec 6, 2007

There is an excellent reference book called The European Accounting Guide by David Alexander and Simon Archer, published by the Academic Press. If you can get to London, you should be able to get it from the bookshop around the corner from Holborn Tube station (I think it is Blackwells).

ISBN 0-12-049899-5.

It provides sample texts from the financial statement of actual companies in the EU, along with translations and explanations. The only problem with my copy is tha
... See more
There is an excellent reference book called The European Accounting Guide by David Alexander and Simon Archer, published by the Academic Press. If you can get to London, you should be able to get it from the bookshop around the corner from Holborn Tube station (I think it is Blackwells).

ISBN 0-12-049899-5.

It provides sample texts from the financial statement of actual companies in the EU, along with translations and explanations. The only problem with my copy is that it dates back to 1993, before the new accounting standards came into force. Hopefully, it has now been updated.
Collapse

David Howard
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Canaria Dec 6, 2007

That sounds like an excellent resource. I live in London so I should be able to pick it up, unless of course I can order it online. I also found a good website, although I'm not 100% on some of the translations they use:

http://www.iasplus.com/dttpubs/uk_fra.pdf

Thanks again

David

Chris Lancaster
Chris Lancaster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Great tip Dec 6, 2007

I read Canaria's post and bought a secondhand copy from Amazon UK for 30 UKP. Geat tip, thanks.

Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 13:13
French to English
Try looking at existing annual report translations Dec 6, 2007

You should be able to get ideas by consulting French companies' annual reports in French and English on the web, and take inspiration from there.
By the way, some of the weird terms on the iasplus site may be nothing more sinister than IFRS-speak - a language unto itself and behind some strange-sounding words in both English and French ! If your client is using the specific IFRS terms then you should probably use the English equivalents.
Good luck.

David Howard
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Buzzy Dec 7, 2007

I did actually look up some company reports online, but I was warned about some of them. Someone on another forum, who'd done some work for EDF, said that many of the translations aren't that good, although the same wording had been used for a number of different companies. I'm not sure whether that makes them trustworthy, or whether it's a case of bad translations being used by other translators, and so on. I think I'll get a copy of that book Canaria mentioned.

thanks
... See more
I did actually look up some company reports online, but I was warned about some of them. Someone on another forum, who'd done some work for EDF, said that many of the translations aren't that good, although the same wording had been used for a number of different companies. I'm not sure whether that makes them trustworthy, or whether it's a case of bad translations being used by other translators, and so on. I think I'll get a copy of that book Canaria mentioned.

thanks

David
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accounts translation- resources

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »