Any opinions about Alex Eames\' tranmail agency list ?
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 18:55
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dec 28, 2001

Does anybody have Alex Eames tranmail agency list for sale? Is it useful to buy?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-28 18:33 ]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It is useful Dec 28, 2001

I purchased the list about 3 months ago. About 1-2% of the email adresses no longer exist. After some direct mailings to selected agencies, the response rate was around 8%. Since I started mailing, I already received some medium sized jobs from one or two of the targeted agencies (in the magnitude of a few hundred dollars total).

Go for it.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 12:55
German to English
+ ...
No - it's just about spamming Dec 28, 2001

No, don\'t waste your money.

If you knew about some of his tips for advertising (see other forum thread: e.g., approaching people at airports, etc.), you would know that it is all about spamming.

If you want to contact agencies, do your own (re)search - and it\'ll be a lot cheaper

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Do your own Internet telephone directory research . . . Dec 28, 2001

. . . as there are zillions of translation agencies. Then do your own follow-up on the agency\'s credibility, as one of my friends did a really large translation for one of these agencies, only to receive a letter written by lawyer stating that the agency had gone bankrupt. I suppose that would hardly be Alex\' fault, but I think all he did was do an Internet telephone directory search and then put the results into a list to advertise and sell it to . . . not you and me, but someone buys it. <... See more
. . . as there are zillions of translation agencies. Then do your own follow-up on the agency\'s credibility, as one of my friends did a really large translation for one of these agencies, only to receive a letter written by lawyer stating that the agency had gone bankrupt. I suppose that would hardly be Alex\' fault, but I think all he did was do an Internet telephone directory search and then put the results into a list to advertise and sell it to . . . not you and me, but someone buys it.

Marijke Mayer
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
German to English
It worked for me! Dec 29, 2001

I used it to approach a lot of different agencies and have started to work with some. It\'s not expensive and less time consuming than doing it yourself.

Gillian Noameshie

Amanda Grey
Amanda Grey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Cost-efficient Dec 29, 2001

I bought the list in November after some hesitation. After three months maternity leave I wanted to get back to work. The list paid for itself within a couple of weeks and I only sent my CV to agencies in my country (France). Sure you can do the research yourself, but it is very time consuming and the price of the list (£50) is low compared to the possible gains.
[addsig]

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I haven't, I wouldn't. Dec 29, 2001

I don\'t know Alex, so I cannot judge him as a person, obviously. Having been around a bit though, my opinion is that this is principally a money-maker for AE. Do your own research, show self-confidence, stick to your native language and don\'t brag about things you are not sure of. If you do your job well, you\'ll get, and keep, customers. Good luck.

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 17:55
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A 'money-maker' for AE ... Dec 30, 2001

...and therefore we have to assume, don\'t we, that your translation work is nothing to do with earning money, right?
[addsig]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:55
English to Spanish
It is spamming... Jan 2, 2002

and therefore I consider it a bad business practice. I have heard success stories by several users, and that only encourages people to continue buying this list.

Let\'s suppose there are 100 email addresses in this list; you send your CV in good faith to all of them and wait. Soon, you start to get answers from, let\'s say, 10 agencies (and that\'s a lot). You get some job and go happily by. Was it worth to annoy the other 90 agencies? Assuming some are used to it and simpl
... See more
and therefore I consider it a bad business practice. I have heard success stories by several users, and that only encourages people to continue buying this list.

Let\'s suppose there are 100 email addresses in this list; you send your CV in good faith to all of them and wait. Soon, you start to get answers from, let\'s say, 10 agencies (and that\'s a lot). You get some job and go happily by. Was it worth to annoy the other 90 agencies? Assuming some are used to it and simply erase your CV or save it for future reference (let\'s say a generous 30), there are still 60 angry people at being sent a 50-Kb email (because I\'m sure you sent your CV as a nice .doc, didn\'t you?). What if thousands of people sent their 50-Kb resumes that same day? (it\'s feasible, since translation is a worldwide business). Your name is on the line here.

We always hear the success stories because no one is ever going say they don\'t hire you because of your bad marketing policies. Think what you would do if one day you find your mailbox, filled with unsolicited applications (perhaps of translators of languages you even don\'t work with). And that\'s assuming such email address is for submiting applications in the first place. What if it\'s the one used for customer support, and we have just flooded it? (some servers start bouncing or even delete mail that doesn\'t fit). Really smooth advertising

My advise? Do your own research. It takes time, but it\'s not that terrible. Go to a good agency listing, search one by one and *make sure* they are asking for resumes. If they are, then go ahead and send that nice .doc resume to the correct address. If they are not having any vacancies at the moment, just note down their name and check a few months later.

At least for me, my name is worth all that labour...

Good luck,

Rossana
Collapse

Tao Weber (X)
Tao Weber (X)
German to English
+ ...
An agency Jan 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-02 07:20, rtriaca wrote:

Let\'s suppose there are 100 email addresses in this list; you send your CV in good faith to all of them and wait. Soon, you start to get answers from, let\'s say, 10 agencies (and that\'s a lot). You get som... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-02 07:20, rtriaca wrote:

Let\'s suppose there are 100 email addresses in this list; you send your CV in good faith to all of them and wait. Soon, you start to get answers from, let\'s say, 10 agencies (and that\'s a lot). You get some job and go happily by. Was it worth to annoy the other 90 agencies? Assuming some are used to it and simply erase your CV or save it for future reference (let\'s say a generous 30), there are still 60 angry people at being sent a 50-Kb email (because I\'m sure you sent your CV as a nice .doc, didn\'t you?). What if thousands of people sent their 50-Kb resumes that same day? (it\'s feasible, since translation is a worldwide business). Your name is on the line here.

We always hear the success stories because no one is ever going say they don\'t hire you because of your bad marketing policies. Think what you would do if one day you find your mailbox, filled with unsolicited applications (perhaps of translators of languages you even don\'t work with). And that\'s assuming such email address is for submiting applications in the first place. What if it\'s the one used for customer support, and we have just flooded it? (some servers start bouncing or even delete mail that doesn\'t fit). Really smooth advertising

My advise? Do your own research. It takes time, but it\'s not that terrible. Go to a good agency listing, search one by one and *make sure* they are asking for resumes. If they are, then go ahead and send that nice .doc resume to the correct address. If they are not having any vacancies at the moment, just note down their name and check a few months later.

At least for me, my name is worth all that labour...

Good luck,

Rossana

Even though I respect your valued opinion I have to disagree firmly. I bought Alex\'s Tranmail product and it has paid itself within 48 hours.

Alex explicitly states not to send out \"100\" mails at once, and any individual with a little foresight won\'t for a plain and single reason. Even if you get only 50 responses within say 24 hours (and that\'s a low estimate, out of 100 contacted agencies 84!!!!! requested my CV), you will not be able to respond within a reasonable time. The window of opportunity is very small in our business and PM\'s tend to brand you as a \"late-responder\" rather eagerly.

Further Alex states (and that is common sense I think too) To keep the first contact short in the manner of politely asking if they would be interested in receiving your CV. Many people, me included, don\'t even open unsolicited file atachments anymore. I am one of these \"success stories\" Alex has quoted in Tranmail and it worked perfect for me. So instead of sitting behind my PC doing time consuming agency research for nill, I am sitting behind my PC doing paid translations, which one is better?

I see it this way. If these agencies would be retailers of what have you apples? Don\'t you think they would be interested what\'s on the market? You as translator are the product they sell, their very existence unless they have inhouse staff. Further, most established, larger agencies have professional web-sites; forthwith pop servers that can handle high volumes of emails. Hell even my personal mailbox with AT&T takes 50MB, not to talk about my web-server.

I understand your point, and to a certain extend I agree with you. But should we not utilize marketing tools to sell our product out of pitty for the poor people being molested with our offerings?

As for Alex Eames. The information the man provides gave a boost to my career and I am very thankful for that. Tranmail is an excellent product and in my opinion a \"must\" for every Freelance Translator. After all we get paid for translating, and not for doing \"agency-research\"

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-12 16:24 ]Collapse

BNatt (X)
BNatt (X)
German to English
Worth a try... Jan 14, 2002

Mattias,

one thing that I very much appreciated about Alex was his willingness to answer questions on an individual basis via e-mail. He did not waste any time getting back to inquiries I had after purchasing his package, which I considered very helpful and professional.

Viewing the expense, I don\'t think it is neck-breaking and worth a try. You\'ll be able to rely on quick feedback if you have inquiries.

Regards,

... See more
Mattias,

one thing that I very much appreciated about Alex was his willingness to answer questions on an individual basis via e-mail. He did not waste any time getting back to inquiries I had after purchasing his package, which I considered very helpful and professional.

Viewing the expense, I don\'t think it is neck-breaking and worth a try. You\'ll be able to rely on quick feedback if you have inquiries.

Regards,

Natt

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any opinions about Alex Eames\' tranmail agency list ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »