Word count tool for images
Thread poster: Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo
Maria Jose Fernandez Marengo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 27, 2007

I'm translating a project that has a lot of images with several words. As there are many images throughout the document we need to count the words since it makes really a difference in the final wordcount.

Is there any wordcount tools that counts images.

Images can be edited.

Thanks a lot for you help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 14:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Counting words in images Dec 27, 2007

Is there any wordcount tools that counts images.

Counting images is not that difficult, counting words in text in images however is. I am assuming the close-to-worst-case (*) scenario, namely that text is not included as text boxes or something similar, but is reasonably readable (not like those Turing numbers appearing lately forsecurity reasons during logins).

I would try to OCR the text - even if the words are misspelled, you can get their count and you can get their translations in an ordinary manner.

* the worst-case scenario would be having to count them all by hand.

[Urejeno ob 2007-12-27 18:03]

Christian Fournier  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Counting words in images Dec 28, 2007

Try this:

I think it counts words in images.

best regards,

Renato Pavicic
English to Croatian
+ ...
Few tools... Jan 7, 2008

This one works for sure: PractiCount and Invoice -

Can't remember, but I think these can count such words:
Freebudget -
CatCount -

I had the same problem. But, the main problem was how to prove that MY wordcount is better (erm - correct in comparison) then that from Word. It was discussion like:
- There are 5500 words
- But, Word says 3500
- Yes, but it does not count words inside of layers, those that are over imposed over pictures
- What do you mean, does not count?

Once, wiht a client that is PC-illiterate, I had to copy-past whole text from pics into a new file, together with "regular" (inline) text, properly arranged as not to confuse them with "where did this came from?" and to go with them on paragraph at the time, counting the words and comparing. And I had to demonstrate them (in vivo) how to do proper wordcount. Needles to say, I refused to work on such files of their any more.

Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count tool for images

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs