Mobile menu

Test Translations- Two great articles
Thread poster: Maria Eugenia Farre

Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 12, 2003

We\'ve all seen it happen. Submit your resume to an agency and they send you a test translation. Are they all worth taking?

Here are two very interesting articles on the subject:

Test Translations: To do or not to do?

Test Translations- An Update

Enjoy and wise up!

Direct link Reply with quote

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Very interesting and useful! Mar 12, 2003

Thanx Maria!

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
German to Italian
+ ...
Thank you! Mar 13, 2003

I\'ll copy and paste and email to some agencies...

Marina Zinno  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
French to Italian
+ ...
perfectly true Mar 13, 2003

I\'m not a worldwide translator, therefore I never had to do translation test (exepted for the little texts proposed on the bid jobs!!)

Anyway, i just want to underline that I work for a translation agency which does not make any translation test to new translators, but test them directly with new jobs, otherwise everyone, or at least lot of them would surely give us a perfect test...

as this translator on your links says:

\"In general, my approach to doing these tests was as follows: I did the tests only in my fields of knowledge (electronics, IT, automotive, advertising, marketing, PR). After having translated a text, I proofread it three times. After that, I sent the test translation to a Russian expert in the respective area who I knew had a good knowledge of English—mainly to check special Russian terminology. After that, I sent the translation to my friend, a translator with over 20 years of experience, for final proofreading. In most cases the revisions suggested by my editors were minimal, but I took all this trouble just to be sure that my test translations were perfect.\"

Regards and BUON LAVORO to all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test Translations- Two great articles

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs