Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What is the best OCR tool to convert PDF files?
Thread poster: Betty Welker
Betty Welker  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2008

What is the best OCR tool to convert PDF files (faxes, photocopies, etc., not electronic files) to a Word document? There was some earlier discussion of this topic in this forum, but it's a few years old. At the time, translators seemed to like Abby (sp?) Fine Reader or ScanSoft. What is your current recommendation? Many thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:11
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I'd vote for Abby FineReader Jan 10, 2008

... I can just compare it to what Microsoft put into the "Office Document Image writer" and it is no match to Abby when compared side by side.

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Still the same Jan 10, 2008

I'm still very satisfied with ABBYY FineReader, but I must admit that I've never tried ScanSoft, so I couldn't tell you anything about differences in various areas. ABBYY came with my scanner, and I liked it so much I never looked for anything else.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:11
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
OmniPage Jan 10, 2008

I use OmniPage 15 from Nuance (there is now version 16).

It works very well. The interface is very intuitive.

A recent UK computer magazine test rated OmniPage and FineReader as equally good.

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Last month Jan 10, 2008

there was some discussion here: http://www.proz.com/topic/92134 , which might be helpful.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
FineReader is the real deal Jan 10, 2008

Another vote for FineReader, but with initial preparation in Acrobat 8 first (Optimize scanned PDF):
http://www.proz.com/topic/93164

For more basic text stripping, the no-frills Abbyy PDF Transformer is also very able, fast and automatic. I use it in 9 cases out of 10 (and switch to FineReader only when I need the "big gun").

/Jan

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Abbyy Jan 10, 2008

Hello,

I'd also say Abbyy Finereader, experts use version 8 for scanning (more resolution options) and version 9 for recognition.

Once I tried Omnipage, but I always ended up with a lot of different fonts and font sizes on one page. Maybe it recognizes too well.

Regards

Noe

Dubravka Hrastovec  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Abbyy FineReader Jan 10, 2008

The only one I have ever used. It suits my needs perfectly.

eesegura  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
TextBridge Jan 10, 2008

This is the only one I've used, and I generally happy with it. Of course, the text being scanned must be of sufficient quality for the scanner to read and produce reliable text.

karim_benahmed
Algeria
English to French
Omnipage 14 Jan 10, 2008

it's learning period is a bit long and hard, but once it's well configured the results are excellentte.
The only one I've used and satisfied.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:11
English to French
+ ...
OmniPage 15 Jan 11, 2008

That is what I use and it is really great. It does take some time to get used to it and creating workflows is a little difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, you can do interesting things with it and it does have output of excellent quality.

All the best!

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:11
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader & PDF Transformer Jan 11, 2008

are my favorite. PDF Transformer is a stripped version of FineReader (the PDF recognition engine extracted), and in case of PDF with simple layouts, its use is a bit more convenient. FineReader has, of course, much more features and is more useful on complex files.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
FR8 vs FR9? Jan 11, 2008

Noe Tessmann wrote:
I'd also say Abbyy Finereader, experts use version 8 for scanning (more resolution options) and version 9 for recognition.

Once I tried Omnipage, but I always ended up with a lot of different fonts and font sizes on one page. Maybe it recognizes too well.

Hi Noe and all,

Are you saying that some features are lost when upgrading to FR 9?!
What could Abbyy's reason be for doing that? Did anyone confront them to ask what's going on?

Personally, I use a standalone office scanner, which means that the software isn't involved at all in the scanning stage. It outputs a scanned PDF that I simply open in FR8. So I guess upgrading wouldn't do me any harm then?!

Regarding OmniPage vs Textbridge. AFAIK, Nuance use the very same OCR engine in both products, I guess the feature set (dictionaries etc) and the price is the only difference.

/Jan

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 09:11
English to Greek
+ ...
ABBYY FineReader 9 Jan 11, 2008

After years of struggling with PDF files and amateur OCR software, I accidentally bumped into ABBYY's site last week. I purchased FineReader 9 immediately and I really can't imagine how some other OCR can be better.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Features gone when upgrading Jan 11, 2008

I don't know why but they always change some feature. From 7 to 8 the function "replace uncertain characters by pictures" in PDF output was gone. It came back in a late upgrade before launching version 9. Now you have just limited resoulution options when scanning (300 - 600 dpi). But it's possble to have two versions at once on your machine.

Regards

Noe

[Edited at 2008-01-11 13:15]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best OCR tool to convert PDF files?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs