Thread poster: kat1980
kat1980
kat1980
Local time: 18:58
German to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2008

hi all,
I am trying to find an interesting substantial article (about 3000 words) dealing in some way with 'los gitanos' in spain. I want to translate it for a project. I am not having any luck doing internet searches. Does anyone know where i could find a good article?? Failing that , perhaps one on immigrants in spain??
THanks very much for any help,
Kathryn

chord0
chord0
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
article on 'los gitanos' in Spain Jan 22, 2008

regarding the article needed for translation, dealing with 'los gitanos' in Spain
I did a research with the gypsies and
I found a very good article about the history of the gitanos or gypsies, although very long. the website is:
www.photius.com/countries/spain/society/spain society_the_gypsies.html

If this is not what you are looking for, then type the
... See more
regarding the article needed for translation, dealing with 'los gitanos' in Spain
I did a research with the gypsies and
I found a very good article about the history of the gitanos or gypsies, although very long. the website is:
www.photius.com/countries/spain/society/spain society_the_gypsies.html

If this is not what you are looking for, then type the gypsies in the subject area and you will find several websites with different articles from which you can choose the right one.

Glad to be of service
georgina
chord0
Collapse

Alan R King
Alan R King
Local time: 19:58
Basque to English
+ ...
In memoriam
a couple of things Jan 22, 2008

Kathryn, you fail to mention what language you need the article in (or what language you are translating from, same thing). You ask in English, but refer to "los gitanos" - how are we supposed to know?! Georgina seems to have assumed you wish to translate from English; I will assume your source language is Spanish. Obviously in that case you should search for "gitanos" (not "gypsies"). But you should also try "romaní" and "romaníes".

A couple of links follow; they may not be just
... See more
Kathryn, you fail to mention what language you need the article in (or what language you are translating from, same thing). You ask in English, but refer to "los gitanos" - how are we supposed to know?! Georgina seems to have assumed you wish to translate from English; I will assume your source language is Spanish. Obviously in that case you should search for "gitanos" (not "gypsies"). But you should also try "romaní" and "romaníes".

A couple of links follow; they may not be just what you're looking for but then again, they might be worth a look:

http://www.gencat.net/governacio-ap/ACCIO_CIUTADANA/DOCS-FORMULARIS/Pla_poble_gitano.pdf

(a trilingual publication, interestingly in Romani, Catalan and Spanish)

I expect you've already tried the Spanish Wikipedia ("Pueblo gitano")? As usual, the Spanish Wikipedia is not as good as its English-language counterpart, but there may be some information or references.

I had some more links on this subject which I was planning to give you, but unfortunately I can't figure out what I did with them - sorry! But as I recall, it wasn't all that hard to find some stuff. A couple more hours googling may yield some results...

Good luck,
Alan
Collapse

kat1980
kat1980
Local time: 18:58
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 22, 2008

thank you so much chord0, that was really helpful.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quadrilingual Jan 22, 2008

Alan R King wrote:

(a trilingual publication, interestingly in Romani, Catalan and Spanish)

You have the English at the end. However, it's to be presumed very reliable. Catalonia is the regional government that runs the most special programs for the Roma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

article on 'los gitanos'

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »