Thread poster: Guillaume Chareyron
Guillaume Chareyron  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:40
German to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2008

Hello everybody!

I'm looking for a software permitting to search the content of text files placed in one folder and to display directly the words found with their translations.
I mean something like Babylon, where all results can be read directly in the same window. The problem is that the babylon glossaries must be converted to the babylon format and as I have a lot of txt glossaries, I'd like to search and display the content without having to convert the files.

Does anybody of you know a software doing this?

Thank you very much for your help!

Guillaume

Direct link Reply with quote

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Search32 Jan 22, 2008

I usually use Search32

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/search32-free.html

France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dank U Jan 22, 2008

thanks. I had a look at this software but apparently it works like many other softwares: it shows the list of the files in which the word is to be found and you must then click on the different file to see the content.
I would prefer a software which directly show the corresponding line of each document.

Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 06:40
Japanese to French
+ ...
grep Jan 22, 2008

I'd use grep for windows
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm

Plus, read this article for more information if you like maths:
http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
shows also text lines Jan 22, 2008

In the search results you will see the file name and (below the file name) the text lines in which the search term is found. I agree, when the text lines are very long, you may have to scroll to the term (which is highlighted) and you may have to look for the translation.
However, when the text lines are not too long, you will immedeately see the term + its translation.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Google desktop? Jan 22, 2008

I'm looking for a software permitting to search the content of text files ...

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Google desktop Jan 22, 2008

I agree with Vito: google desktop does exactly that (and a lot more).
Attila

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Search and replace by Funduc Jan 22, 2008

http://www.funduc.com/search_replace.htm
This is what I use to search glossaries (zipped or not). It lists entries and you get the surrounding context by double-clicking an entry (without opening the associated app).

To my knowledge, you cannot easily restrict a Google Desktop search to selected folders. You have to exclude all folders that you don't want Google Desktop to search.

Philippe

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Other Desktop search engines Jan 22, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

I'm looking for a software permitting to search the content of text files ...

Hello,

GDS doesn't search big files, it stops like Google after some pages or terms (350). But there are others like Exalead (free) and X-friend. I use the seconde one for a bunch of PDF files. You can set the index quality to maximum and it looks for everything.

Only the display of the hits could be better.

Regards

Noe

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tittut from Esaro Jan 22, 2008

GuillaumeC wrote:
The problem is that the babylon glossaries must be converted to the babylon format and as I have a lot of txt glossaries...

If your glossaries are tab delimited plaintext files, then Tittut may be for you. There is a "conversion" of sorts, but Tittut does it for you.

Tittut is at:
http://esaro.se/

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wilbur Jan 22, 2008

Attila Piróth wrote:
I agree with Vito: Google Desktop does exactly that (and a lot more).

If you're looking for a simple indexed search tool, try Wilbur. It works on Windows 95 and up (not sure about Vista). It starts to choke on indexes larger than about 1 gigabyte, though. But you can select exactly what you want to include in your index, and you can update your index at will. The search function can display either the whole file or only the lines that contain the searched term. You can create multiple indexes, and launch that index in Wilbur by double-clicking the index file itself (or a shortcut to it).

http://wilbur.redtree.com/

There is a newer version called Wilma that works on Windows 2000 and up, Linux and OSX, and has both GUI and commandline support, but I haven't tried it yet.

France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
must have a look Jan 22, 2008

Hi!

Thank you very much for your help and your suggestions! There are several ones I don't know and I'm going to have a look at them asap.
Concerning GDS, I know it and had been using it for a while at the beginning but I'm not convinced. In this domain, I prefer Copernic which I use every day to search in my jumble. This is a really good software (and it's free!) The only problem is that it displays a list of the files where the searched word appears and you must then click on each of them to see the word in the preview pane, that's why I insisted above on the necessity of listing the results (ie the searched word + translation) and not the files. For my numerous txt files, I like somthing faster and with good integration. That's why I took the example of babylon. You just have to click right + ctrl and the window with the results of the different dictionaries appear, it's really fast and convenient. I thought, maybe there is a similar software basing on individual text glossaries....

Thanks once again and do not hesitate to post if you have any other suggestions!!

Guillaume

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
Examine Jan 23, 2008

Hi Guillaume,
I have used Examine since 1994 (but upgraded versions, of course). Could not live without it!

http://www.examine32.com/

This is how the results are shown:
http://www.examine32.com/manual/srchwin.htm

(However, I always change the font to Arial, the color for found words to red and get rid of the line numbers, for a nicer look)

Best regards,
Cecilia

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:40
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
ApSIC XBench Jan 23, 2008

XBench is free, can be used to read a wide format of files (including Trados exported memories, Microsoft glossaries and tab delimited files), and has some really useful translation QA features.

You can download it from www.ApSIC.com.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

search software for text files

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs