Dictionary Center - an idea
Thread poster: Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher
Ilka Nahmmacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:33
German to English
Jan 23, 2008

I would like to suggest a Dictionary Center for PROZ, but before I do, I wanted to check whether this kind of thing perhaps already exists on PROZ or even somewhere else on the net.

I am thinking of a place where anyone can post the names of dictionaries, their author and publisher. With each dictionary listing there would be a place for visitors to comment on the dicitonary. The Dictionary Center should be searchable by language and subjet matter. I am not referring to online glos
... See more
I would like to suggest a Dictionary Center for PROZ, but before I do, I wanted to check whether this kind of thing perhaps already exists on PROZ or even somewhere else on the net.

I am thinking of a place where anyone can post the names of dictionaries, their author and publisher. With each dictionary listing there would be a place for visitors to comment on the dicitonary. The Dictionary Center should be searchable by language and subjet matter. I am not referring to online glossaries, but rather to dictionaries in print or in a digital form that need to be purchased, like Langenscheidt, Ernst, and any number of specialty dictionaries.

In this way, before actually buying a dictionary, a potential buyer could first look here for information on the usefulness of the book.

It would also serve as a center for quickly finding what dictionaries are available on the market.

Does PROZ already have this kind of posting center?
Do you think it's a good idea?

[Edited at 2008-01-23 17:50]
Collapse

ivo abdman
ivo abdman
Indonesia
Local time: 08:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Kudoz is the best dictionary center Jan 23, 2008

Kudoz is the best dictionary center, more complete than you ever imagine

Have you familiar with this service ?.

Use it carefully, sometime there are a trap from the one who want get Kudoz point rather than help you.

But remember, a consultant only can give you a smart suggestion no exceed than your smartness.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
Kudoz is not under discussion... Jan 23, 2008

ivo abdman wrote:
Kudoz is the best dictionary center, more complete than you ever imagine

I don't think Ilka refers to Kudoz, but to a listing of Dictionaries recommended by our colleagues.

ilka nahmmacher wrote:
In this way, before actually buying a dictionary, a potential buyer could first look here for information on the usefulness of the book.
It would also serve as a center for quickly finding what dictionaries are available on the market.

And I think it is a very good idea. I agree with Ilka!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Totally agree Jan 23, 2008

A very good idea!

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
suggested several times before Jan 23, 2008

This is an idea that has been suggested several times before, but (AFAIK) never implemented, e.g.

http://www.proz.com/topic/9621
http://www.proz.com/topic/13574

I will say, yet again, that I think it's a great idea and wish that something would finally be done about it. I thin
... See more
This is an idea that has been suggested several times before, but (AFAIK) never implemented, e.g.

http://www.proz.com/topic/9621
http://www.proz.com/topic/13574

I will say, yet again, that I think it's a great idea and wish that something would finally be done about it. I think it would be great if it were set up like the Blue Board, where people can add dictionaries they have and comment on them, or ones they'd like to have and send out a "call for entries" (in this case, reviews).
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 21:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
I, too, agree. Jan 23, 2008

I hope online dictionaries would be included.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I already had a very similar idea Jan 23, 2008

This is an excellent idea - I thought of the same thing a while ago. I would see it as a page of reviews where those who have the dictionary or who have used it before can post comments/reviews on them. I can also imagine people giving grades to the dictionaries, like on Amazon, for example. I would have one grade for completeness, one for how reliable it is and one for how well it is put together, and then use an average of these to make up the final grade.

It wouldn't be hard to d
... See more
This is an excellent idea - I thought of the same thing a while ago. I would see it as a page of reviews where those who have the dictionary or who have used it before can post comments/reviews on them. I can also imagine people giving grades to the dictionaries, like on Amazon, for example. I would have one grade for completeness, one for how reliable it is and one for how well it is put together, and then use an average of these to make up the final grade.

It wouldn't be hard to do - the content would come mainly from users.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:33
Spanish
+ ...
I like it Jan 24, 2008

I think it's a fantastic idea, regardless of who thought of it first. But a Dictionary Center could just be a part of a whole Review Center for all kinds of products that we translator use. **coughsCatFightcoughs**.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
I like it too Jan 24, 2008

I think it's a great idea. I'll drop a note to staff with a link to this thread. Maybe they could set something up.
Maria

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
My vote too Jan 24, 2008

I think it's a great idea.

It should not be limited to dictionaries, but should also include reference books. For instance, I have a couple on terminology that are not exactly dictionaries, but give context and explanations of the systems behind the terms (one is on English Law, the other on medical terminology).

Reviews of works like that would be really helpful.

Anabel Canon
Anabel Canon
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea, Ilka! Jan 24, 2008

Christine Andersen wrote:

It should not be limited to dictionaries, but should also include reference books.

Definitely agree with that too!

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Excellent idea, indeed! Jan 24, 2008

I fully support this idea!

I think it is really the best way to get information on dictionaries or publications, which are of interest to us translators and to see what translators think about them. It would indeed be of great assistance to help us get the best value for money instead of buying lots of dictionaires advertised by different companies without knowing exactly how reliable they are from the point of view of translators.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:33
SITE STAFF
Great idea Jan 24, 2008

Thanks to Ilka and the others who have previously brought up this idea, and to everyone who has offered feedback. It sounds like a great idea. I would like to invite those who are willing to help by forming a group to work on this project to express their interest via support request, http://www.proz.com/support , and let's get started!

Best regards,

Jared

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
Dictionary reviews Jan 28, 2008

Am willing to contribute. An idea for proz marketing: structured versions or even plain access to the reviews might be offered to interested publishers commercially, thus becoming self-financing.
Should extend to all extant dics, not just those currently in print.
Regards
M.A.T.

Tinalea
Tinalea
Local time: 09:33
Chinese to English
Great Idea Jan 29, 2008

It is my first day to join you here and I see this excellent idea. I feel so rewarding to take all the time in signing up here.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary Center - an idea

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »