Alex Eames´s e-book: is it worth buying?
Thread poster: Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
German to Italian
+ ...
Jan 2, 2002

Has anybody used the e-book \"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year as a Freelance Translator\" by Alex Eames? What do you think about it? What would you answer if I asked \"Why should/shouldn´t I buy it?\"

Thanks a lot and ciao!

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:24
German to English
+ ...
No! Jan 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-02 17:48, G Zecchino wrote:

Has anybody used the e-book \"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year as a Freelance Translator\" by Alex Eames? What do you think about it? What would you answer if I asked \"Why should/shouldn´t I buy it?\"

Thanks a lot and ciao!

Most of the opinions I have heard or read were quite negative. Do your own research - it\'s cheaper!

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good book for a beginner Jan 3, 2002

I bought both the original book and the update. No regrets. As a beginning translator, wondering where to start, I found the information on marketing oneself and on professional demeanor very helpful. Before I discovered this book, I had bought a paper book on the same topic. Since then, I have seen the paper book praised in another forum. But I found Eames\'s book more up-to-date (an advantage an e-book has over paper), much better organized, and more focused on relevant information.

... See more
I bought both the original book and the update. No regrets. As a beginning translator, wondering where to start, I found the information on marketing oneself and on professional demeanor very helpful. Before I discovered this book, I had bought a paper book on the same topic. Since then, I have seen the paper book praised in another forum. But I found Eames\'s book more up-to-date (an advantage an e-book has over paper), much better organized, and more focused on relevant information.

A lot of negative comments about his mailing list have been made, but I bought the book without buying the list, so my comments relate only to the book.
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:24
German to English
Yes - if you are new to the game! Jan 3, 2002

18 months ago I decided to get into translating. I had no previous experience or clue as to how the game worked. I found Alex\'s book very useful and certainly worth what I paid. If you have worked in house or for an agency maybe you don\'t need his advice - I certainly did!

Pere Ferrés Gurt
Pere Ferrés Gurt  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Obvious things Jan 3, 2002

I have read parts of it, a kind of summary of the book, and as long as I could see, it only gives obvious advices.

For instance, it says that you must reply \"reasonably quickly\" to the messages you receive from potential clients, that you must not tell lies, that you must not take in a translation assignment you cannot deal with, ...

I do not know if this summary reflects the \"spirit\" of the whole book, but I was thinking of buying it and, after reading the summary, I dec
... See more
I have read parts of it, a kind of summary of the book, and as long as I could see, it only gives obvious advices.

For instance, it says that you must reply \"reasonably quickly\" to the messages you receive from potential clients, that you must not tell lies, that you must not take in a translation assignment you cannot deal with, ...

I do not know if this summary reflects the \"spirit\" of the whole book, but I was thinking of buying it and, after reading the summary, I decided not to.

I think \"common sense\" is the best tool you can use to foster your business!

Pere
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No 2 Jan 3, 2002

I bought it last year and there was nothing new in it. You can look for agencies by country on the internet (this is free)and you can find all the tips he gives on the proz discussion forums.

It is just a summing up what to do and what not do to as a translator. Nothing really practical in it. It used this book for a marketing-assignment at the university and got a \"D\". \"A lot of talk, no figures\" was the evaluation of the professor.

Marco Vrieling (X)
Marco Vrieling (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
You will earn back your investment in no time Jan 3, 2002

I am not writing this to butter up Alex Eames. I don\'t know the guy personally. But without hesitation I can tell you that his products will save you precious research time and money. And if you choose not to buy his book, then buy his tranmail list or subscribe to his newsletter (free of course). You will see major results within a week.

For what is worth: thanks to his book and tranmail list, I became an established translator within weeks (!!), gave up my \"regular\" job
... See more
I am not writing this to butter up Alex Eames. I don\'t know the guy personally. But without hesitation I can tell you that his products will save you precious research time and money. And if you choose not to buy his book, then buy his tranmail list or subscribe to his newsletter (free of course). You will see major results within a week.

For what is worth: thanks to his book and tranmail list, I became an established translator within weeks (!!), gave up my \"regular\" job and had a hard time replying to all the replies. Try doing that on your own...

Good luck anyway

Marco
Collapse

Daniel Marcus
Daniel Marcus
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:24
Portuguese to English
OK for starting out Jan 4, 2002

It\'s ok if you\'re just starting out on the translation road. Most of it is just common sense, but if you don\'t have anyone around you to give you sensible tips then the book is useful. He seems rather smug and arrogant (witness his \'star-letter\' section in his monthly circular; his supercilious tone throughout the book), BUT he happens to be full of good, no-nonsense ideas.

Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 5, 2002

Hi again,

and thanks a lot to all of you for your promptness in replying. Good that there is such a direct way to learn from other people´s experience...

Ciao!

Gianfranco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alex Eames´s e-book: is it worth buying?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »