Mobile menu

subtitling equipment - what is needed? how much?
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2002

I am not sure if I set up this question correctly but there was a want ad regarding subtitling and it mentioned having the equipment for it. What equipment is needed for subtitling, how much does it cost and where can you get it? If there is any other information you can volunteer regarding this, I would really appreciate it

Direct link Reply with quote

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Re: Subtitling equipment Jan 2, 2002

There is a decent website called \"The beginner\'s guid to subtitling\" - mainly geared towards the anime subtitling crowd, but you can get all the info you\'re asking for there:

http://armitage.crinkle.net/karinkuru/howtosub/index.shtml

HTH

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-01-02 21:25, southpaw wrote:

I am not sure if I set up this question correctly but there was a want ad regarding subtitling and it mentioned having the equipment for it. What equipment is needed for subtitling, how much does it cost and where can you get it? If there is any other information you can volunteer regarding this, I would really appreciate it

Lester  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Great subtitling equipment Jan 3, 2002

The Florida Chapter of the ATA - FLATA sponsored a presentation by Carlos Contreras of TM-Systems (http://www.tm-systems.com), and was I ever impressed by their device!

Subtitling is a fascinating field, but the slave-wages turned me off to it.

Carlos\' software made me consider it again. If you are serious about it, contact him (carlos_contreras@tm-systems.com). His software makes it simple and straight forward to convert tapes into digital images and work with them directly into the computer, separate character lines, time speeches and scnese, . . .

But, I repeat, the rates paid in Miami, Venezuela, Colombia and Brazil, the markets I know a little about, are laughable at best. No, that is wrong: they make you cry!

Sigrid Lensink-Damen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:13
German to Dutch
+ ...
subtitling stuff Jan 3, 2002

HI,

What you need for subtitling is a TV and a video recorder, which can \'jog\' the to be subtitled material frame by frame. This video has to be very advanced, because you also need the sound to match the frames (with a normal recorder, you hear about two seconds no sound)

Second you need software. The simplest software is available for about €1600,- More advanced software (where you do not need a TV or so), which can be bought for about €4550,-.

Time to save some money I think...

Best regards

Sigrid

yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much did their equipment cost? Jun 2, 2003

Giovanna Lester wrote:

The Florida Chapter of the ATA - FLATA sponsored a presentation by Carlos Contreras of TM-Systems (http://www.tm-systems.com), and was I ever impressed by their device!

Subtitling is a fascinating field, but the slave-wages turned me off to it.

Carlos' software made me consider it again. If you are serious about it, contact him (carlos_contreras@tm-systems.com). His software makes it simple and straight forward to convert tapes into digital images and work with them directly into the computer, separate character lines, time speeches and scnese, . . .

But, I repeat, the rates paid in Miami, Venezuela, Colombia and Brazil, the markets I know a little about, are laughable at best. No, that is wrong: they make you cry!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

subtitling equipment - what is needed? how much?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs