Thread poster: Julia Glasmann

Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

Hello everybody,
sorry to bother you, but maybe there is a quick solution to my problem, and someone can help me...

I have SDL Trados 2007 on my Computer, but haven't had yet the time to get acquainted with it (in other words - I haven't much of a clue how to use it at all), as I've had tons of work to do. Now I have this huge project to do (on a short deadline, of course) and the client sent me a TM. It is a txt-file, which I have used in the past by using the search function and hope that the respective translation is anywhere close to the term I had been looking for.
My question now is - can that TM still be imported into SDL Trados, even though it is a text file? And if yes - how do you do that?

Thank you for your help and have all a great day!

Direct link Reply with quote

David Ryan Murúa
Spain
Local time: 11:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It should work! Feb 7, 2008

Hello Julia,

If the txt file has been previously and properly exported from another TM, then you just need to import it into your TM or a new TM. To do that you need to:

1. Save the file sent by the client in a folder you remember.
2. Open/Create a TM into which would like to import the text file.
3- Go to File>Import (click on it)
4. A window will show up with options (I usually tend to click ok without changing anything)
5. Select the file from the folder you saved the file
6. Done.

Hope it helps.
If you want to check that it has been corrected uploaded, press F3, a carry out a concordance search.

Regards and good luck!
David

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File - Import Feb 7, 2008

Hi Julia,
Have you tried File - Import?

Best regards,
Ralf

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
RTFM ;-) Feb 7, 2008

You can just import txt and tmx files. If you're able to open Trados go to the File menu and click on the 7th option from above called "Import". Guess what's happening.

You get some options with radio buttons, this doesn't make a big difference. If you trust your actual TM more then then one to import you choose "leave unchanged" otherwise it's up to you. Then don't forget to click OK and point the browser to your txt file. Trados does the rest.

By the way this is not right forum for this kind of question.

Good luck

Noe

Julia Glasmann
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Feb 7, 2008

Thanks everyone for your help and your comments - and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, didn't know where else to put it.

I know that my question must sound stupid for anyone who is not all bad at using Trados/Software in general (yes, I did notice a hint of sarcasm in your answers, Ralf and Noe), but Trados seems so huge to me that I'm still a little scared using it.

Thank you David - your explanation is exactely what I was hoping for - foolproof enough, so even I can use the TM now

Best regards,
Julia

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:20
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Manuals Feb 7, 2008

Julia, there are many manuals and other types of reading materials related to TRADOS. Before you tackle your next TRADOS job, no matter how simple it is, I suggest you first read at least the basic manuals that come with the software. You never know what TRADOS will find and come up with and, not knowing how the program works increases the likelihood of you doing something wrong, thus triggering a desperate situation. See how easy it would have been for you to figure out such a basic and simple operation as importing a memory.

Find time to read and get acquainted with something so "huge" (and you are correct in your appreciation, therefore the need to study, study, study). Look in the Proz forum and other places on the Web, print what you find, classify it (memory related, common mistakes, messages, etc.) and prepare a binder you can use as reference.

Siobain McAlister  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:20
German to English
'File type is not recognised' Mar 19, 2008

I get this error when I try to open a word file (bilingual) for Trados 6.5.

I used the tip above to import the TM, and that worked great, but I am still not able to open the document in TagEditor.

I suspect that the file I received is from Trados 7.0, would this pose an issue?

Any help on how to convert the word file so I can open it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Help - How to import a TM?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs