Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What windows do you open for every translation?
Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2008

Not including the specialized resources you might open, which are the windows that you "automatically" open when you start your translating day?

Just curious...:D

Paty

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
Too many Feb 11, 2008

E-mail, Google, ProZ, MSN - and I get terribly distracted sometimes....

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
ya Feb 11, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

E-mail, Google, ProZ, MSN - and I get terribly distracted sometimes....

Right, those waste a lot of time too, especially ProZ.

[修改时间: 2008-02-11 16:49]

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
a lot Feb 11, 2008

Apart from the e-mail window and the job itself (almost always in Word), the others that are always open when I'm working are Trados, Collins on-line dictionary, dictionary.com (also has a thesaurus), IATE, Excel (for my own personal glossary, now over 30,000 terms or notes), Proz term search and at least one Google window. I'm not sure how many of those you would count as "specialized resources", but those are the ones I open for every translation.

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Jennifer Hejtmankova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
IATE access? Feb 11, 2008

Cindy Chadd wrote:

Apart from the e-mail window and the job itself (almost always in Word), the others that are always open when I'm working are Trados, Collins on-line dictionary, dictionary.com (also has a thesaurus), IATE, Excel (for my own personal glossary, now over 30,000 terms or notes), Proz term search and at least one Google window. I'm not sure how many of those you would count as "specialized resources", but those are the ones I open for every translation.

According to a press release I read, IATE is supposed to be open to the public, yet I find a login/password window when I access the page. How does one get a login to access the site?

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
IATE link Feb 11, 2008

Jen Hejtmankova wrote:

According to a press release I read, IATE is supposed to be open to the public, yet I find a login/password window when I access the page. How does one get a login to access the site?

You don't need one. Try here:

http://iate.europa.eu/iatediff/SearchByQueryEdit.do

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Three Feb 11, 2008

patyjs wrote:
Not including the specialized resources you might open, which are the windows that you "automatically" open when you start your translating day?

Firefox, Thunderbird and Opera. Your next question should be... what web sites do you automatically go to when you open your browser. Mine are a number of different forum sites (using Opera's 9-homepages feature).

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 11, 2008

Cindy Chadd wrote:

Jen Hejtmankova wrote:

You don't need one. Try here:

http://iate.europa.eu/iatediff/SearchByQueryEdit.do

Lovely...I was looking in the wrong place! Thanks

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
2 browsers? Feb 11, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

patyjs wrote:

Firefox, Thunderbird and Opera. Your next question should be... what web sites do you automatically go to when you open your browser. Mine are a number of different forum sites (using Opera's 9-homepages feature).

Just out of curiosity, why do you use two different browsers?

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
easy now... Feb 11, 2008

RTE Radio Clasica or BBC Radio 3. After that, I might just condescend to open Word, Trados, Google and IATE. But don't let's rush things...

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Right attitude, lexical Feb 11, 2008

Get in the right mood, that's the most important thing first

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:09
English to Swedish
+ ...
windows Feb 12, 2008

- The folder where I keep the translation file I am working in.
- The translation file itself.
- Wordfast folder
- Relevant wordfast glossary text file
- Firefox:
--- google
--- proz`kudoz
--- iate
--- possibly other suitable web sites, depending on the particular job

Thomas

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two browsers Feb 12, 2008

Jen Hejtmankova wrote:

They have different strengths. Opera is lightweight and easy to use, but it doesn't render certain pages correctly or optimally (eg Gmail). Firefox is sluggish and mouse-intensive (compared to Opera), but it has better rendering of certain pages (eg Gmail). I use Firefox almost exclusively for Gmail. Don't think of it as a browser -- think of it as an e-mail program that can't do POP3.

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
No webmail for me! Feb 12, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jen Hejtmankova wrote:

They have different strengths. Opera is lightweight and easy to use, but it doesn't render certain pages correctly or optimally (eg Gmail). Firefox is sluggish and mouse-intensive (compared to Opera), but it has better rendering of certain pages (eg Gmail). I use Firefox almost exclusively for Gmail. Don't think of it as a browser -- think of it as an e-mail program that can't do POP3.

Ah, well, I don't even use my browser for Gmail - I have IMAP access set up in my regular mail program...

I had similar issues with one particular website...had to keep Safari open just to access it, as it wasn't FF compatible yet...fortunately they've resolved that...

Jason Young
Jason Young  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:09
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Google Aug 2, 2008

is a must in my translation. Can't imagine what it would be like without the help of google when it comes to technical translation - new terms are created almost everyday, which is something dictionaries can't handle until years later.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What windows do you open for every translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »