Mobile menu

Trados on a laptop. How much BHP is necessary?
Thread poster: xxxWilliam Hard
xxxWilliam Hard
Local time: 20:52
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2008

Hi all!

At the moment I use wordfast on an old desktop but I'm thinking of investing in a laptop as I'm often on the run.
I am ALSO playing with the idea of investing some cold hard cash in Trados.

How much horsepower does a laptop need in order to run trados without constantly crashing?

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 11:52
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Depends... Feb 15, 2008

Which version of Trados (and Office) are we talking about?

Generally speaking, however, I would recommend investing in a laptop that has enough power to still be of use 4-5 years from now, instead of cutting corners and then finding out that your laptop just doesn't cut it anymore in a couple of years. And don't listen to the so-called "technology experts" who still think that Windows Vista is really much safer than, say, Linux - a computer can definitely last 4-5 years without any upgrades if it's powerful enough when you buy it.

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 14:52
German to English
Get lots of RAM, it's inexpensive Feb 15, 2008

I used to run Trados 7 on a laptop with Windows XP and 512K RAM without any problems. If you're going to invest in a new laptop, you may as well get 2 GB RAM, a dual core processor and, if possible, Windows XP (still available on some new computers in the US, can't speak for elsewhere). I recommend XP because it's a known quantity and a relatively stable platform. Most of the interaction issues with other software have been identified, and in many, if not most cases, there are fixes and work-arounds.

When I bought my latest laptop last month, I spent a little more and bought a 7200 rpm hard drive. I've found that it makes a noticeable difference with certain processes. Get a built-in wireless card while you're at it.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
English to French
+ ...
1GB is all I need Feb 16, 2008

I have 1GB on my "old" laptop, and even when I run a bunch of other programs (browser, mail, dictionary, FTP client, ApSic XBench, etc.), I never have a problem running Trados 7.5. As long as you watch your startup folder (don't have any useless programs in there, and occasionally terminate the ones you usually need but not in this session), 1GB is fine and dandy.

I did notice that if I leave my laptop on for a few days with Trados running, it does get a little stuck eventually - but if you have good computer user habits, this shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, Dragon can slow down much faster than that...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on a laptop. How much BHP is necessary?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs