Mobile menu

STAR Transit 3.0 Satellite PE: how to use it?
Thread poster: Alessandro Zocchi

Alessandro Zocchi  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
Partial member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 16, 2008

Hi all, and, first of all, have a nice Saturday!

Is there anybody out there who has ever worked with Transit Satellite 3.0 PE? I am an affectionate Trados user and have recently downloaded the free version of this CAT tool, but it seems very different from the Trados environment.

Are there any possibilities of creating a TM? What are its functionalities? Otherwise, is the aforementioned tool aimed to be used only in case that a ProjManager sends You a Project You are due to work on, then sending it to her/him in return?

Does Transit manage the text fragmenting it? Do You need to clean up the whole thing after finishing and before delivering the text to the end Client?

Any help appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Have you read the manual? Feb 16, 2008

You will find answers to your questions (and more in it).
In a nutshell: the free version (Satellite) is not a stand-alone product, you can just translate projects prepared by the project manager with the professional or enterprise version. Transit does not use a TM but an "associative network", i.e., pairs of files specified by the PM or the user (even though I am not perfectly sure you have this option in the Satellite version; I use the Smart version). In higher versions you can, nonetheless create a TM but not in Satellite.
You get language pairs from the client (filename.eng for an English file and filename.deu for a German one, for instance), and you have to send back the translated file (either as it is, filename.deu or you can compress it to a .txf file). The client may also send you a dictionary in the project to which you can add new terms but you need a higher version to create your own dictionary.
The functionalities of the Satellite version are admittedly limited but if the project is well prepared you have access to quite a lot of useful options. You may also need a bit of time to get used to it, as it is very different from Trados.

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
training video Feb 16, 2008

Hi Alessandro,

to download the computer-based training video go to :

and click on "CBT"

This is help you get started and understand the basics. However, be aware that this is a free and very skimpy version of Transit XV, i.e. no concordance, no import/export/no spell-checkers etc. It handles only projects sent to you by project managers and you can't export them. You can use previous translations as reference materials. I use Transit XV Professional and translate pre-segmented Trados files with it as it is far superior to Trados. Termstar (terminology management module) leaves Termbase far behind.

Maribel Cascão  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
STAR Transit 3.0 Satellite PE Feb 16, 2008

Hello Alessandro,

First of all I suggest that you visit the STAR Group site ( and take a look at the Satellite Version Manuals at (
This version is a very limited one and you can only use it if your client converts the files into Transit and sends you Dictionaries aso.
Personally I use Transit XV (complete version) for almost every translations for the past 4 years and I can assure you that after knowing how to work with it I have difficulties in getting back to Trados. You have everything you need on your screen, without having to open any extra window: Target and Source Text, Dictionary and Fuzzy-matches, concordance search, translation status, aso. You go along your translation using mainly shortcuts, which make you loose less time, you enter terms from the Dic and Fuzzy-matches very quickly and you can find/replace terms or anything you need to do in your text without having always to open/close segments and every changes you make are automatically performed in the TM, so no extra changes are needed, just click the "save" button and the thing is done. Creating DB's and Dictionaries is very easy, you can manage everthing the way you like and need, adding and using references as well, so you can get well "equipped" with everything you need to easily perform for your translation jobs.
Unfortunately not every client has Transit or is able to convert files, but I think in the near future this will change. As a friend of mine used to say: Transit and Trados are like the video players VHS and Beta. Everybody knew from the beginning that Beta was superior, but VHS was maybe better known and for whatever reasons people chose it.

If you need some specific help after going through the manuals, please let me know.
Have I nice Saturday as well.

Regards from Portugal

Vito Smolej
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
STAR Transit 3.0 Satellite PE: how to be used by it? Feb 16, 2008

Hi Alex:

You got the essence of it: it is meant as retailers' tool - tool for those rowing beneath the deck - with the project manager playing the drummer, cutting up the pizza into smaller (usually less paying) units, collecting the spoils and having in general the control of the situation. Some sort of an Amway / chain-letter approach, come to think of it.

You get the TM blessing only at the PMs' mercy (and too often they forget it), while they have all the freedom to make with your bilingual product whatever they may feel. To get on the even footing with them, you need the XV version, which costs - more than TRADOS afaik.

Seen from far away, it is a good system (SDL has been trying the similar model with its Lite), but it can be only as good as the business arrangement behind it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

STAR Transit 3.0 Satellite PE: how to use it?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs