Counting words PPT/PDF
Thread poster: Transitwrite

Transitwrite  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:32
French to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2008

I know this has come up often... I have a few long PowerPoint documents to translate and need to check the word count. I read a posting suggesting conversion to Pdf and then counting.
I did so and found an internet service called GlobalRendering.com which then counted the Pdf document.
Does anybody have past experience with this tool and can attest as to its accuracy ?

It seemed to come up with a lot more words than the agency counted - there is +20% with GlobalRendering.
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can extract ppt to Word Feb 18, 2008

using werecat-macro. In Word you can easily count everything, translate and transfer back to ppt using Werecat.
Werecat was created for users of Wordfast, but of course you can use other CAT-tools too.
Cheers
Heinrich

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:32
English to Russian
Try this Feb 18, 2008

www.anycount.com
It's free as far as I know

[Edited at 2008-02-18 19:25]

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
PowerPoint has its built-in wordcount Feb 18, 2008

See the "Statistics" tab. It should be under the "File" menu, as far as I remember.

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
German to English
+ ...
My experience Feb 18, 2008

Vadim Poguliaev wrote:

www.anycount.com
It's free as far as I know

[Edited at 2008-02-18 19:25]

For myself, I used to use 'freebudget'. The freeware would not handle formats such as PPT, HTML, PDF.

A dear colleague/client of mine had some strange experiences with Anycount and switched to Practicount.

Another very respected peer recommended Practicount in the course of a recent project where 4 of us were working on a multi-lingual project. It's very tidy and even counts PDFs. But if you convert file formats as you mentioned, you can expect confusion on occasion.

I shall continue evaluating Practicount: it does invoices for you etc.

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:32
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Statistics Feb 18, 2008

Özden Arıkan wrote:
See the "Statistics" tab. It should be under the "File" menu, as far as I remember.

Right, it's under File-> Properties-> Statistics tab. A few days ago I was looking for PPT wordcount applications too, browsed these forums, googled quite a bit, until a colleague told me about the Statistics tab. The wordcount was right there!!

Aniza  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 20:32
Member (2007)
English to Malay
+ ...
Thank you Feb 19, 2008

Özden Arıkan wrote:

Hi Ozden,

TQ... you've made my day & I learn something new today!

Transitwrite  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Results of my findings... Feb 19, 2008

I ended up using Practicount, which I downloaded for a free trial.
For the PPT document:
If I used the statistics count as everybody suggests I found 7750.
The agency counted 8007 words for PPT document and with Practicount I found 9400!
The agency cancelled the order as the price was obviously not the same as what they were asking. I was not willing to work on the basis of 8007 words.

Practicount found exactly the same number of words in 5 .doc documents as I did when I did the MS word count. So on that there is agreement

But for PPF, such a big difference - can it be explained?

Marcus Geibel
Germany
English to German
Huge word count in PPT Feb 19, 2008

Yes, there is an explanation:

PractiCount counts anything in the PPT, even embedded files.

I once had a PPT that was calculated to be some 8 pages - but counting it in PractiCount, it had more than 20.

Only when carefully checking the entire PPT I found that it had 2 embedded Excel files in it - which accounted for the difference, but weren't needed in translation. After removing them from the PPT file, the count matched the pre-calculated one.

As for the rest, PractiCount works really well. You only need to keep this in mind.

Regards
Marcus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting words PPT/PDF

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs