Mobile menu

Looking for Translation Software w/ dictionary & other functions
Thread poster: Francisco S
Francisco S
English
Feb 24, 2008

Hello Community,

I'm new to translation. I've done some translations in the past, but recently I accepted a rather large contract (about 38,000 words). The problem is that I will be going away for a few months, and planned on doing a majority of the translation work on the road, so to speak. Therefore, I will not have access to online resources, such as dictionaries and so forth. I should mention that I have never seriously used "resources" in the past in any case, other than a dictionary, so I guess I'm looking for a software that as a minimum has an extensive dictionary, but that might be able to do other useful translation functions.

In summary, I'm looking for a software that has:

--French-English dictionary
--other useful functions for translation, not sure what those would be because of my inexperience (grammar?).

I've done some preliminary research but have encountered too much information to sift through, so I thought I would ask advice from professionals.

Thank you,

Francisco

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2008-02-24 16:54]

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2008-02-25 01:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:33
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
travelling and translating too, eh;)? Feb 24, 2008

FI'm new to translation. I've done some translations in the past, but recently I accepted a rather large contract (about 38,000 words). The problem is that I will be going away for a few months, and planned on doing a majority of the translation work on the road, so to speak.

I can 't say anything about the major part of the question (ENFR dictionary), but about the translation software I would suggest OmegaT. You can add the glossary (glossaries) to it on the go.

Francisco S
English
TOPIC STARTER
response to Vito Feb 25, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
travelling and translating too, eh;)?

More accurately, I'm able to travel because I'm translating.....

I can 't say anything about the major part of the question (ENFR dictionary), but about the translation software I would suggest OmegaT. You can add the glossary (glossaries) to it on the go.

I installed it and it looks very promising.

Can a dictionary be added to it?

Basically, I'm looking to buy the best French-English dictionary available, and any other useful functions that may come with it. I will definitely try Omega.

I don't really need a glossary (if I understand the definition of the term). That was added in by the moderator. I already have a good knowledge of the terminology in both languages. However, I have a moderate knowledge of most other words in the source language, hence my need for the dictionary (are standard dictionaries referred to as glossary's in the translation world?)

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
note about the title of the thread Feb 25, 2008

Francisco S wrote:
I don't really need a glossary (if I understand the definition of the term). That was added in by the moderator. I already have a good knowledge of the terminology in both languages. However, I have a moderate knowledge of most other words in the source language, hence my need for the dictionary (are standard dictionaries referred to as glossary's in the translation world?)

No, sorry, I'll correct the title. The subject was a little too general ("Translation Software") so I changed it, but I should have written "dictionary" instead of glossary.

Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
Partial member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Try Babylon 7 Feb 25, 2008

Francisco S wrote:
Basically, I'm looking to buy the best French-English dictionary available, and any other useful functions that may come with it. I will definitely try Omega.

Check out Bablyon 7, which allows you to purchase and install locally a number of general purpose French-English dictionaries -- Harraps, Langenscheidt, etc..

For around 80 euros you can buy the program and a dictionary of your choice, and once you have the software installed, you can always add new dictionaries later.

You can try the software for 30 days for free, I believe, and there are a number of free dictionaries available as well.

[Edited at 2008-02-25 08:14]

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
where? Feb 26, 2008

Sorry for the digression and the impertinent curiosity, but where could you possibly be going since you are assuming you will have no internet connection? Does such a place exist anymore?
(And I am sure there are plenty of dictionaries that can be downloaded to your laptop, or bought on cd's).
Have a nice trip

[Edited at 2008-02-26 08:05]

Francisco S
English
TOPIC STARTER
response to Hilde and Gflan. Apr 5, 2008

Hilde Granlund wrote:

Sorry for the digression and the impertinent curiosity, but where could you possibly be going since you are assuming you will have no internet connection? Does such a place exist anymore?
(And I am sure there are plenty of dictionaries that can be downloaded to your laptop, or bought on cd's).
Have a nice trip

[Edited at 2008-02-26 08:05]

There are many dictionaries, but the question is buying the best and most complete French-English dictionary available. Or do translators function with many dictionaries? I'm not a professional translator, so I don't know. Yes, I'm looking to buy a dictionary I can download, and right now the one that seems to be the most recommended (in book form) is Harpers Collins Unabrigded, so I'm looking for this version in downloadable form. There seem to be less complete Harper Collins dictionaries out there but not this one.

There were Internet connections btw, just not easily accessible or available all the time. I went to Venice and Switzerland with my wife and baby... There may be internet everywhere, but certainly not Interet cafes...

Thanks glfan, I will check out Babylon 7.

The Omega software did not work out so well for me....perhaps it works best for people that have done many translations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Translation Software w/ dictionary & other functions

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs