https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/98434-xliff_files_and_trados.html

Xliff files and Trados
Thread poster: Juana 2
Juana 2
Juana 2
Local time: 03:37
English
Feb 28, 2008

A client says: "Can you clarify something about XLIFF for me: if we start with a Word document in English, you can provide an XLIFF document with both the English source and the Spanish translation? Are you also able to provide, within that same document, a French translation? The challenge we are facing is having to translate multiple documents into 5 languages as the project will entail translating a web site, then providing the developer with XLIFF files for import into the content management... See more
A client says: "Can you clarify something about XLIFF for me: if we start with a Word document in English, you can provide an XLIFF document with both the English source and the Spanish translation? Are you also able to provide, within that same document, a French translation? The challenge we are facing is having to translate multiple documents into 5 languages as the project will entail translating a web site, then providing the developer with XLIFF files for import into the content management system. What is the industry best practice for such a scenario?" Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks in advance!Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:37
German to English
+ ...
XLIFF – XML:TM Feb 29, 2008

Although an XLIFF file can contain more than one language translation, it is highly recommended that an XLIFF file contain translation for one language only.
www.icu-project.org/docs/papers/localize_with_XLIFF_and_ICU.pdf

I think the industry standar
... See more
Although an XLIFF file can contain more than one language translation, it is highly recommended that an XLIFF file contain translation for one language only.
www.icu-project.org/docs/papers/localize_with_XLIFF_and_ICU.pdf

I think the industry standard for the scenario is XML:TM.

My current guess is that the problems you are likely to encounter may be more to do with tools available than standards.
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:37
Spanish to French
+ ...
TagEditor Feb 29, 2008

Why don't you work directly in TagEditor. I think it supports XLIFF files since version 2006 0r 2007 (they are XML-based).

Good luck!

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
XLIFF files are bilingual. Feb 29, 2008

Robert Tucker wrote:

XLIFF files are bilingual. There can only be one <target> element per translation unit.

A new XLIFF file is necessary for each target language.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Juana 2
Juana 2
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 3, 2008

I appreciate your replies and will let you know what ever became of this request. Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Xliff files and Trados

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »