Basic guidelines: discussion / working together
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
English to German
Dec 11, 2004

First off: I don't have to be the (sole) moderator of this forum. Any help is welcome at all times.

Actually, it will probably be necessary to use the help of existing moderators or assign co-moderators since there are already many topics which we need to keep track of and sum up every now and then.

Because I became moderator practically overnight and didn't know any better, I simply got started with the forum and created these topics, not realizing that it would have b
... See more
First off: I don't have to be the (sole) moderator of this forum. Any help is welcome at all times.

Actually, it will probably be necessary to use the help of existing moderators or assign co-moderators since there are already many topics which we need to keep track of and sum up every now and then.

Because I became moderator practically overnight and didn't know any better, I simply got started with the forum and created these topics, not realizing that it would have been better to create sub-threads (or whatever you call them). It's still possible to change that, and any help on the technical side is welcome.

Also, the below rough guidelines are not a must. They just reflect what I think to be most practical and they may not be perfect, but this is the best I could manage on such short notice. Again, any suggestions for improvement are welcome.

In order to make this discussion as efficient as possible, I suggest the following:

- If you think that the existing structure needs to be changed or extended, please use the topic 'Improving the discussion' to let us know your thoughts. Please do not create a new topic for the time being! Otherwise it's possible that we lose track of things. Also, we don't want to confuse other members with topics appearing on the homepage that don't make sense to them... (my fault; see above)

- When adding a post to a topic, please summarize your comment / suggestion in the header and be as brief and precise as possible in your posting. Otherwise it might take too long to take in, digest and process all information.

- Also, please only use the "reply with quote" option when necessary.

In order to reach an agreement on each topic as quickly and efficiently as possible, I will ask TechSupport if it's possible to integrate the "agree / disagree" option available at KudoZ.

[Edited at 2004-12-12 08:26]

[Edited at 2004-12-12 12:43]
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
encouragement to increase communication with each other Dec 12, 2004

Although I am perfectly content to work alone when writing, translating or developing a strategy, sometimes I am very grateful when I can bounce off an idea with someone else before finally writing it down. I have done exactly that since this charity project started and I wouldn't miss it.

I know that many of you work alone too, so I would like to encourage you to do the same. Not because I feel that comments posted here miss thought, don't misunderstand me.

Besides Ins
... See more
Although I am perfectly content to work alone when writing, translating or developing a strategy, sometimes I am very grateful when I can bounce off an idea with someone else before finally writing it down. I have done exactly that since this charity project started and I wouldn't miss it.

I know that many of you work alone too, so I would like to encourage you to do the same. Not because I feel that comments posted here miss thought, don't misunderstand me.

Besides Instant Messenger and Chat, I have found Skype to be a most practical and useful tool. For those of you who don't know Skype: It's internet-based telephonie, it's free and free of charge (except for your online fee), it supports phone conferences, chat and file transfer, and it works perfectly from PC to PC. All you need is the software at http://www.skype.com and a phone or headset you plug into your audio (or usb) slot.

[Edited at 2004-12-12 21:50]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Basic guidelines: discussion / working together

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »