Puzzled! How can the ATA membership application process be so easy?
Thread poster: Juan Chen
Juan Chen
Juan Chen  Identity Verified
China
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 9, 2008

"ATA APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP - Checkout

Name : Juan Chen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Membership Total : $145.00
Individual - Regular $145.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Total : $145.00

--------------------------------------------------------
... See more
"ATA APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP - Checkout

Name : Juan Chen

Membership Total : $145.00
Individual - Regular $145.00

Grand Total : $145.00

Please charge my: MasterCard Discover American Express VISA

Card Number:
Expiration Date: /
Name:

"

I even have not submitted evidences of my past years' translation and interpreting experiences

Can anybody become a member simply by paying the member fee? If yes, terrible.
Collapse

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
English to French
see before gaining Apr 9, 2008

Thank you for your interest in the American Translators Association. ATA Membership is open to anyone with an interest in translation and interpreting as a profession or as a scholarly pursuit. All individual applicants are first accepted as Associate or Student members "before gaining eligibility" for Active or Corresponding membership.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:49
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What's the confusion? Apr 9, 2008

The ATA is a trade association, not a College of Translators. Anyone with an interest in the translation profession may join.

Now, if you want to be certified by the ATA, that's a different matter. You'd have to pass a three-hour exam (which has a rather high failure rate) and then do continuing education to remain certified.

But membership is open to anyone who pays the fee.

Juan Chen
China
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you. Apr 9, 2008

Well, I see. I want to be certified.

Many thx

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
How to become ATA certified Apr 9, 2008

The information about how to become ATA certified can be found

Helen Li
Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 09:49
English to Chinese
+ ...
Exams in U.S. Apr 9, 2008

If you want to be a ATA certified translator, you need take the exams organized by ATA.

If you are from Asia, you may wish to take note that, ATA does not have test sites in Asia at this point of time. As such, you will have to take these exams in U.S. and also attend their continuing education after you pass the exams.

[Edited at 2008-04-09 15:59]

Juan Chen
China
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can such exam be taken online? Apr 9, 2008

I remeber ATA can offer online exam opportunity, right?

Helen Li
Singapore
English to Chinese
+ ...
Online Apr 9, 2008

I am not aware of online exams organized by ATA. In fact, I wrote to ATA a month ago to ask them whether there is any way for translators located in Asia to take ATA exams in Asia for the purpose of being a ATA certified translator. Their answer was no, and advised that the test takers have to fly to U.S..

Before you decide spending time and money flying to U.S. for the exams, you may wish to read more information about ATA's requirement on "continuing eduation", which will also req
... See more
I am not aware of online exams organized by ATA. In fact, I wrote to ATA a month ago to ask them whether there is any way for translators located in Asia to take ATA exams in Asia for the purpose of being a ATA certified translator. Their answer was no, and advised that the test takers have to fly to U.S..

Before you decide spending time and money flying to U.S. for the exams, you may wish to read more information about ATA's requirement on "continuing eduation", which will also require you fly to U.S. to attend.

Hope it helps. You can also write to ATA and seek clarification on these issues.
Collapse

Juan Chen
China
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Helen Apr 9, 2008

You are nice and kind.

So, I will forget the application and save some money

Helen Li
Singapore
English to Chinese
+ ...
NAATI Apr 9, 2008

you are most welcome:)

For translators from China, if you wish to be certified by a foreign translation association/organization, maybe you can consider being certified by NAATI (National Accureditation Authority for Translators & Interpreters). This is a goverment authority in Australia to conduct the accreditation exams for translators & interpreters.

In NAATI's websit
... See more
you are most welcome:)

For translators from China, if you wish to be certified by a foreign translation association/organization, maybe you can consider being certified by NAATI (National Accureditation Authority for Translators & Interpreters). This is a goverment authority in Australia to conduct the accreditation exams for translators & interpreters.

In NAATI's website (www.naati.com.au), you will find that they actually conduct "test on demand", which means you can request a test to be held at the location outside Australia. I know these tests can be held in Singapore, but I am not very sure about whether it can be held in the mainland of China. You may wish to go to their website, and check out the list of the locations avaliable. Good luck!
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:49
English to Spanish
Is it not easier to read the ATA site? Apr 9, 2008

All the information you wonder about is in the ATA site.

ATA does not offer online tests; how could they know you did not have another person sitting in front of the computer?

The most recent development in matters of tests is they are working on an electronic version of the test, so it does not have to be done by hand. I doubt that the electronic test will allow much more than that convenience. Certainly, no online testing from remote locations.

There i
... See more
All the information you wonder about is in the ATA site.

ATA does not offer online tests; how could they know you did not have another person sitting in front of the computer?

The most recent development in matters of tests is they are working on an electronic version of the test, so it does not have to be done by hand. I doubt that the electronic test will allow much more than that convenience. Certainly, no online testing from remote locations.

There is a test calendar posted informing the dates and places members can select as more convenient for them. Consulting the calendar makes you aware of the places where the test is held, certainly not China, not yet.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 02:49
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
All the information you wonder about is in the ATA site. - which information? Apr 10, 2008

The occasion reminded of that (wooden, German but still antological) skit in Casablanca (mutatis mutandis)

which much?
145 much.
Such much!

[Edited at 2008-04-10 10:28]

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No wonder, Vito Apr 14, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
... skit in Casablanca (mutatis mutandis)

which much?
145 much.
Such much!

Good old Michael Curtiz - every Hungarian kid of HIS generation learning English new this little joke. He just had to put it into the film.
(And a few other ones - recognisable only to those in the know - into his other films.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Puzzled! How can the ATA membership application process be so easy?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »